1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breed of the Day (Tuesday)

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by bullylove1, Jun 16, 2004.

1. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Okay, I chose the Newfoundland dog because I don't know anything about it, and my moms family if from Newfoundand. Huge dogs, they look very clumsy but from what I've heard do pretty well in dog shows. I watched the last one on t.v. and the Newfoundland won 1st. prize.

Pronunciation
    New-fun-LAND
    Description
    The Newfoundland is a stately, strong, and massive dog with a broad heavy head. Elegant, harmonious, agile and hardy. The wide muzzle is rather short and squared-off. The small triangular ears are pendant. The small eyes are dark brown; the conjunctiva should not show as it does in the St. Bernard. The nose is generally black except on bronze-colored dogs, which have brown noses. The feet are webbed for better swimming. Dewclaws should be removed on the hind legs. The tail hangs down. The water-repellent long outer coat is flat, oily and slightly wavy with a thick oily undercoat. Dogs that live indoors, however, tend to loose their undercoats. The coat most often comes in black, (sometimes with a little white on the feet, end of the tail, or chest) black with blue highlights, bronze sometimes also in brown or gray and Landseer (White with black markings), note: in the USA and Great Brittan the Landseer is considered the same breed as the Newfoundland, however in some European countries the Landseer is a totally different breed than the Newfoundland. Landseers in Europe have longer legs than newfies, Landseers are not so massive, they are more sporty dogs. In shows, they compete separately.
    Temperament
    The Newfoundland is a dog with an outstanding temperament, good, courageous, generous, intelligent, human. Lord Byron wrote of one of this breed: "... Courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of a man without his vices." It is also a patient dog, mild with guests, and obsequious with its master. He is noble, calm, gentle, loyal and trustworthy with a sweet temperament. Dignified and peaceable. Very devoted. They can become so attached to their owners that they cannot adapt to a new home. Good and brave. Intelligent enough to act on his own when needed. Protective, but tends to place himself between the intruder and his family rather than bark or growl. Newfoundland's can recognize a dangerous situation and will generally act if the family is threatened. Any dog, other animal, child, or visitor who has no evil intention will receive a friendly welcome, however some males may be aggressive with other males. But the breed is generally good with other animals. Patient, playful, and loving with children; he is a born babysitter. Very sociable. Enjoys the outdoors, but also requires companionship. The Newfoundland drinks a lot of water and may be messy about it, as he loves to get wet. They tend to drool, though not as much as some other giant breeds. Although puppies require a lot of food, an adult Newfoundland eats only about as much as a retriever. They love to swim and if backpacking near water, don't let the Newfoundland carry your sleeping bag - or you may spend a very damp night! This breed may be slightly difficult to train. Training must be conducted in a calm and balanced manner. These dogs are very sensitive to the tone of your voice. This dog's huge body tends to move rather slowly. Take this into account during training.
    Height, weight
    Height: Dogs 27-29 inches (69-74cm) Bitches 25-27 inches (63-69cm)
    Weight: Dogs 130-150 pounds (59-68 kg) Bitches 100-120 pounds (45-54kg)
    Health Problems
    Prone to hip dysplasia. Do not let a Newfoundland get fat. Also prone to a hereditary heart disease called sub-aortic stenosis (SAS). Breeders should have puppy's hearts checked by a veterinary cardiologist at 8-12 weeks of age. Adult Newfies should be cleared of SAS again before breeding.
    Living Conditions
    Will do okay in an apartment if sufficiently exercised. They are relatively inactive indoors and a small yard is sufficient. They are sensitive to heat: provide them plenty of shade and cool water in warmer weather. These dogs prefer cool climates.
    Exercise
    This gentle giant is quite content to laze around the house, but it will benefit from regular moderate exercise. It should have frequent opportunities to swim and frolic.
    Life Expectancy
    Under 10 years.
    Grooming
    Daily to weekly brushing of the thick, coarse, double coat with a hard brush is important. The undercoat is shed twice a year in the spring and fall and extra care is required at these times. (The heaviest shedding period coming in the spring). Avoid bathing unless absolutely necessary, as this strips away the coat's natural oils. Instead, dry shampoo from time to time.
    Origin
    There are stories about the origin of the Newfoundland. The breed may be a descendant of nomadic Indian dogs, or of Viking "bear dogs." Others believe the Newfoundland is a close relative of the Labrador. This theory is based on the similarities between the two breeds and the fact that the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador are very close to each other. It is possible that the Labrador, which is an excellent swimmer, was able to swim the Strait of Belle Isle or cross on foot when the water was frozen. Many believe the Newfoundland originated from crosses between Tibetan Massifs brought to Canada By British or European fisherman and local dogs early in the 1700's. In any case, the resulting breed found a niche aiding fisherman off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada. This gentle giant was used for hauling in nets, carrying boat lines to shore, retrieving anything which fell overboard and rescuing shipwrecked and drowning victims. The breed was also used to haul lumber, pull mail sheds, deliver milk, and carry loads in packs. The Newfoundland was, and still is, an outstanding instinctive water rescue dog. Many owe their lives to members of the breed. In 1919 a gold medal was awarded to a Newfoundland that pulled to safety a lifeboat containing twenty shipwrecked people. It has been called the St. Bernard of the water. During World War II, Newfoundlands hauled supplies and ammunition for the Armed Forces in blizzard conditions in Alaska and the Aleutian Islands. Today safer ships and improved communications have limited the dog's processional activities but its appeal has not diminished due to the fact that it is considered a handsome, devoted, delightful companion. It is still very good at water trials, competitive obedience, weight pulling, carting, backpacking, and as a watchdog and guarding dog. The Newfoundland Club of America sponsors water rescue and drafting tests.
    Group
    Mastiff, AKC Working
    Recognition
    CKC, FCI, AKC, UKC, KCGB, CKC, ANKC, NKC, NZKC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Newfoundland's are so intimidating but they are really cuddly teddy bears. Our old neighbor's had 2 they were a riot! My husband has wanted one forever.
    OK I tag myself for tomorrow's Breed of the day!
    :y_the_best:

3. Sara

Sara New Member

I LOVE Newfies! There have been a few that have done good in Weight Pull comps.

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

An newfie won the westminster this year, he was beautiful, and what a personality

honeybear

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Newfies are giant teddy bears. My room mate in college had them growing up - they have about 4 of them and they were all inside dogs. She had pictures of them carpeting the living room, LOL.

They are also gigantic drool monsters. There was one at Bonnie's shelter for doggie daycare and I babysat for a short time while the volunteer had to step out. He drank from a water bowl and then came to say hi to me. I think it took me an hour to dry off. He was awesome, though!

Jamiya

6. papillon/mom

papillon/mom New Member

my nephew has two newfoundland's, the funniest part is their names, Big bear and little bear they are enourmous they really do look like bears. They were very gentle though.... :p :p

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I am glad everyone likes the breed!

Westminister was the show I was thinking of that they won. Thanks.

Gina, can't wait till tomorrow to see what you pick!

8. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

They look like black pyranees!!!