1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breed of the Day (Wed.)

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Sarge'smom, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

HA! Got my foot in early...

The Tibetan Mastiff*
    The Tibetan Mastiff is the largest of the Oriental breeds as well as one of the most beautiful. Although historically thought of as the guard dog of the villagers and nomads, they have also been companions to Kings, Queens, and Presidents, as well as the Dali Lama. Here in the U.S. they have proven themselves as guard dogs, herding dogs, sled dogs, and most importantly, as family companions.

The Tibetan Mastiff is the forebearer of many of today's AKC breeds, including the Newfoundland, St. Bernard, Great Pyrenees, and English Mastiff.

They were bred for centuries with little regard for conformation, but solely for their working capabilities, leaving only the most agile and tractable dogs of tested strength, stamina and courage. Unwittingly, the villagers were approximating the choices that mother nature would have made. By this natural selection, the Tibetan Mastiff escaped many of the genetic problems prevalent in man-made and man-molded working breeds of today and is little changed from the Tibetan Mastiff of ancient times.

Perhaps the best way to help you visualize the Tibetan Mastiff is to compare him with common breeds with which you are undoubtedly familiar. He is similar in temperament to the Akita and Rottweiler in that he is generally reserved with strangers, trustworthy with children and gentle and affectionate with his family. However, unlike the Akita and Rottweiler, the Tibetan Mastiff is generally well dispositioned toward other dogs, although he will not back down if challenged. His coat is like that of the Newfoundland in that t is double with a dense undercoat and water resistant guard coat of medium length. However, it is not that the St. Bernard in that it is large, blocky, has pendant ears, and a broad skull and muzzle. However, his jowls are not so excessive as to be constantly wet with drool. His movements is similar to that of the herding breeds in that it is free and effortless and is not the stilted or ponderous gait we see so often in other Mastiff breeds. His large, but not giant size (26-28 inches at the shoulder, 90-125 lbs. for dogs; 24-26 inches at the shoulder, 75-90 lbs for bitches) is ideal for sentry work where guarding instincts must be combined with agility, speed and endurance; and as a family pet as he is large enough to take abuses from small children, but not so large to injure them unintentionally. His size combines the advantages of the giant breeds, i.e., impressive stature, formidable appearance and great strength, without the disadvantages, i.e., shortened lifespan, clumsiness, general lethargy and a high incidence of hip dysplasia.

The Tibetan Mastiff is eligible to be shown in breed competition in Rare Breed Shows throughout the U.S. and are often invited to AKC matches and shows for exhibition. They are eligible for Schutzhund competitions and for breed competition in F.C.I. (Federation Cynologique Internationale) member countries, including Mexico, most of Europe, and South America.

*NOTE:

This information has been contributed by, and is property of The United States Tibetan Mastiff Club, and is gratefully used here with permission.

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL525/22 ... 574047.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL525/22 ... 574076.jpg

http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL525/22 ... 574085.jpg

2. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Wow they are beautiful dog's. I love the Sable colored one.

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Me too. I actually ran across them on accident (on the web that is) and (this is how nerdy I am) I was so excited about this breed I had to, I mean, HAD to share!

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

wow. looks like a cross between a chow and a pyraneese!!! Great one. I never knew they existed. i'd have thought they were mutts.

5. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Great breed!! I love These dogs. They are great companions.

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

what a beautiful dog

honeybear

7. lil96

lil96 New Member

yea samsintention you said the same thing i was thinking about the mix. I think they look awesome!!

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Love that brown color, very pretty.