1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breed of the Day (Wed.)

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by bullylove1, Jul 1, 2004.

1. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Okay, so I decided to do breed of the day today because it is also my last day at work here today, and I won't have my computer up and running for a couple of days. I will probably end up at my moms house using hers. (God, I am such an addict ;))

I chose the lab because my mom has a yellow lab Charlie (I call him Charlie brown) and I miss him sometimes. I never really thought I was that attached to him until I moved out and couldn't see him everyday. He is getting older now, and going white around his eyes. He is aging very gracefully and is such a handsome dog.

BREED OF THE DAY!!!

Description
    The Labrador Retriever is a solid, muscular dog, slightly longer than tall, with a short, hard, easy-care, water-resistant double coat that does not have any waves and comes in solid black, yellow, or chocolate. There is also said to be a rare silver or gray color that is referred to by the AKC as a shade of chocolate. This color is controversial and some claim it is a Weimeriner cross, while others say it is a true mutation. The Labrador has a broad head, thick nose, scissors bite and a pronounced stop. Its muzzle is fairly wide and its neck is powerful. The eyes are chestnut or hazel with an intelligent expression. The medium-sized ears are pendant. The otter tail is strong, thick near the body then tapering, and completely covered with hair. Its limbs have good bone structure. The webbed feet aid in swimming.
    Temperament
    The Labrador Retriever is a loving, affectionate, lovable, patient dog. Highly intelligent, loyal, willing, and high-spirited. Lively and good-natured, they love to play, especially in water - for they love to swim. They have an excellent, reliable, temperament and are friendly, superb with children and equable with other dogs. They crave human attention and need to feel as though they are part of the family. Labs are easily trained. Some may be reserved with strangers unless very well socialized as puppies. These dogs are watchdogs, not guard dogs, although some have been known to guard. They can become destructive if left too much to their own devices. Train Labradors early not to pull on the leash, as they have very strong necks. Show lines are generally heavier and easier going than field lines. Field lines tend to be very energetic and high strung. Often the best pets are from combination show/field stock. This breed is very popular. If you are planning to show, buy only from a reputable breeder. Labs are a bit more dominant and independent than the Golden Retriever. Some of their talents include: hunting, tracking, retrieving, watchdogging, police work, narcotics detection, guide for the blind, service dog for the disabled, search and rescue, sledding, carting, agility, and competitive obedience.
    Height, Weight
    Height: Dogs 22-24 inches (56-61cm.) Bitches 21-23 inches (53-58cm.)
    Weight: Dogs 60-75 pounds (27-34kg.) Bitches 55-70 pounds (25-32kg.) Some males can grow to 100 pounds (45kg) or more.
    Health Problems
    Prone to hip and elbow dysplasia, PRA and eye disorders.
    Living Conditions
    The Labrador Retriever will do okay in an apartment if sufficiently exercised. They are moderately active indoors and will do best with at least an average-sized yard.
    Exercise
    Labrador Retrievers are energetic dogs, delighted to work and play hard. They need a lot of exercise. Labs are big eaters and need regular exercise and moderate rations to avoid a tendency to become overweight.
    Life Expectancy
    About 10-12 years
    Grooming
    The smooth, short-haired, double coat is easy to groom. Comb and brush regularly with a firm, bristle brush, paying attention to the undercoat. Bathe or dry shampoo only when necessary. These dogs are average shedders.
    Origin
    Once known as the "St John's Dogs," the Labrador Retriever is one of the most popular breeds in the United States. Originally from Newfoundland, Canada the Labrador was trained to jump overboard into the icy waters to haul fisherman's nets to shore. Specimens were brought to England in the 1800's by English ships coming from Labrador, where the dog's fine retrieving instincts were honed and developed. One of the best family dogs and canine companions because of their gentle, loving disposition, the highly trainable Labrador also excels in drug detection, as a guide for the blind, and service dog for the disabled. The breed is also an outstanding obedience and field trial competitor.
    Group
    Gun Dog, AKC Sporting
    Recognition
    CKC, FCI, AKC, UKC, KCGB, CKC, ANKC, NKC, NZKC, CCR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

"They crave human attention and need to feel as though they are part of the family"

thats an understatement, Jake last night was trying to crawl in my husbands lap in a chair, all 100# of him he said no so he came to me and I said of coarse

[​IMG]

They forgot to mention lazy

3. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:lol: I am always saying that Sarge has no traits of a Lab in him just the GSD, but that may not be true as he is under the impression that he is a lap dog and must, MUST be petted or on one us at all times! I read that GSD's, while affectionate and loyal to their family, are not as "needy" as say, a Lab. HA! Mystery solved! We found our Lab connection in Sarge! Bless his emotionally needy little heart! :kiss_puppy:

4. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Great choice Bullylove.
    Honeybears can I be your dog for the summer? I will gladly lounge around the pool? And I promise I won't bark that often!

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Gina, sure! come out and enjoy our 105 degree weather :mrgreen: . except you probably get humidity which may be worse than our heat

honeybear

6. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I wanna come! heh. I love my moms lab. He is the sweetest man i know, (besides mine right....) har de har har.

Anyways, I hope I am not gone too long from this board. I am done in 2 hrs and already I am sad that I won't be able to check in tomarrow morning. :cry: