1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breed of the Day (Wednesday)

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by bullylove1, Jun 10, 2004.

1. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Hello all! Decided to do the breed for today.

Anyways, I am very upset because I found this dog on the site I will provide for picture purposes, BUT can not find ANY other info or web sites for it. I can't find any other pics or ANYTHING!!

I would love to learn more about this breed. I think they are BEAUTIFUL!!!

So, here are the "facts" about this breed. Look at the pic first. You will be surprised the breeds combined to make him. He is gorgeous!

Description
    Canis Panthers are heavily muscled with a wide chest and jaw. Their ears are cropped and tail docked and the rear dew claws are removed. Their fur is short. Colors include Black, Chocolate, Fawn/Buckskin, Blue/Gray. Canis Panthers are solid in color.
    Temperament
    Canis Panthers are very intelligent. They do not trust easily and are defensive minded. They are highly aggressive but are very close and loving to their owners. They are protectors, very loyal to their owners, and crave affection.
    Height, Weight
    Height: Males 27-30 inches (68-77 cm) Females: 24-27 inches (62-68)
    Weight: Males 120-140 pounds (54-63 kg) Females 85- 105 pounds (38-48 kg)
    Health Problems
    There are none known
    Living Conditions
    This breed must be kept inside because of their short fur.
    Exercise
    This breed must have a large area to run.
    Life Expectancy
    About 10-11 years
    Grooming
    No special treatment needed.
    Origin
    This breed was developed in the USA in the 1970s by Mr. Cleotha " Scorpio " Jones, Mr. Michael Stratten, and Mr. Lucas Lopez by using the Black Great Dane, Black Labrador, Doberman Pinscher, and the Staffordshire Terrier.
    Group
    Personal Protection
    Recognition
    Personal Protection Dog Association (P.P.D.A.)

www.dogbreedinfo.com/canispanther.htm

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

How about this site? http://www.canispanther.com/home.html

The ears look like they have been cropped and taped and who knows what. Do you think they have been? I wonder what the natural ears look like. I think people are stuck on the idea that a dog with floppy ears cannot possibly be a personal protection dog, LOL.

They are definitely beuatiful dogs, though. I have never heard of them before!

Jamiya

3. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

heehee Jamiya, MY HERO!! THe funniest thing is I have been doing searches for the last hour on the name, and that didn't once come up. You'd think when I typed in Canispanther.com SOMETHING would've come up! :eek:

4. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Okay thanks to Jamiya, I am going to post some pics here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OKAY OKAY ONE MORE!! :lol:

[​IMG]

They are SOO beautiful!!

Okay, last one...Who can resist a pile of puppies!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Go to: www.canispanther.com
    They remind of Cain Carso. I really like these dogs. Great Breed of the Day!!!!!!!

6. GinaH

GinaH New Member

They are gorgeuos! I never like to compare dogs but they look an awful lot like Pit bulls.

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Jmaiya, not sure which pic you are talking about, but most likely the ears are taped. I believe it has something to do with making sure the ears stand up while healing. They are cut rather long so the tip could still flop over without the proper support.

I do LOVE natural ears on dogs, but I may crop one day if I get a bully breed puppy. I think sometimes cropped ears really bring out the natural beauty in their face.

You are right though, most protection dogs do have the cropped look to be perceived as mean.

I personally don't agree with protection dogs. That's because I have never needed one. Not knocking anyone who has 'em I just prefer the companionship.

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I like the floppy-eared puppies. :)

Jamiya

9. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Gina: Did you read the description of the breeds put in the make it? Theres bully in him. :wink:

10. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Wow, thats one beefy dog. In all the pictures you can just about see the mix of dogs that went into the making of them. Like the uproared one, you can totally see the dob in it and the one of the big up in your face one looks very lab. Are those pups considered to be blue the gray ones. Boy that makes sence huh. Only to dog people.

11. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Awww I see it now Bullylove. I didn't read the whole thing because I was also trying to get reports done but feeding my addiction (Auspet) as well.
    Magnificent dogs! Mixed with some of my most favorite breeds!

12. Jules

Jules New Member

I've been wondering Bullylove, about how emergency people would be able to enter your house if ever you were in the need for say, an ambulance, and you had a protection dog? I also like the companionship dogs.
    Ear cropping and tail docking seem to be like plastic surgery for dogs. Hope I didn't offend anyone with that...
    If you have a dog with cropped ears they really do look tougher then floppy ears and a wagging tail. I wrote a while ago how I am tired of people being afraid of my dogs... I imagine it would be worse with those things done!!

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think of it less like plastic surgery and more like mutilation. Plastic surgery is an ELECTIVE surgery that the patient asks for. Ear cropping and tail docking is hacking bits and pieces off a living, breathing animal just because WE think they look better that way.

Just my opinion.

Jamiya

14. Sara

Sara New Member

Okay... The Canis Panther is a new breed and I haven't heard anything good about it's protection ability from the protection folks I've encountered. I've seen a breeder of these guys on message boards before and she's very knowledgeable and responsible but as far as protection goes the word is that these guys lack nerve and can't take a whole lot of pressure from the decoy (the guy in the suit).

As far as protection goes no one I know of that works their dogs in protection and trains in protection (Personal Protection or sport) crops ears...it's usually common for the breed (Cane Corso---pronounced Connie Corso--for example) but many APBT's, AB's and others compete and are trained in Personal Protection sports without cropped ears. I'm sorry folks but those of you who feel the CP looks like an APBT need to have your eyes examined...they have longer skinnier noses, they're lanky and tall dogs... APBT's have shorter, fatter noses, they're short and stocky types...nothing like the CP, They're ears arent' even cropped in the same way as the APBT's are... SAme with the Cane Corso...definately not similar looking IMO.

If you have a dog trained in protection the dog will not attack just anyone and generally if you are in an emergency situation and people must enter your house the dog will more than likely let them in as long as they aren't too strange... PP dogs learn to recognize threat as opposed to friendliness and are supposed to obey the owner no matter what he/she wants to do...if owner says stay dog stays...down stay...dog doesn't move... No PP trainer I know would EVER train the "attack" part of the work without SOLID obediance out of the way and a temperment test done... A mutt a person buys to keep bad guys out of the house that has no training is a whole different story.

I'd love to do the next breed of othe day today because it would be a great addition to this breed you mentioned... I'd like to do mine on Donovan's Pinscher a dog specifically bred for Personal Protection...

Can I can I please Can I!

15. Sara

Sara New Member

Many hunting (Hog Hunting) dogs are cropped for their own safety....same as the APBT crop...originating to keep the ears from being targettted in the pit... As for tail docking... who knows... To me...it's like peircing an infants ears...quick and any pain is quicly forgotten.

16. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Oh well please do EXCUSE ME! for having my own opinion.

17. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think there may have been valid reasons in the past for docking and cropping, but they are largely gone now. If your dog is a hunting dog that actually HUNTS and it is for their own safety, then that's another matter. If it's to make them look how you THINK they should look, then I'm very much against it.

TTouch talks about helping dogs with the residual pain and stress of a docked tail - years after the procedure. They have phantom pains and all sorts of things, just like a human who loses a hand or a foot.

Jamiya

18. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

I remeber when i first joined this board, there was a HUGE debate on the tail docking and ear cropping. It is definately a personal preference, and done at an early enough age, there really is no pain involved.
    I have heard TONS of people say after an ear crop their dogs don't even notice and go about life romping and playing around.

Sara: the breed is fairly new, only been around since the 70's. The only breeder I have been able to read about is Lori Berg. They do have some bully in them, so it was a fair statement to say you could see some of the resemblences, not that they look anything alike. But, you can see qualities in all 4 breeds in this dog.

I found this dog totally be mistake, and think they are gorgeous.

Jamiya: very interesting about the TTouch, I have never thought about if there were after effects. I would personally never dock a tail unless it had to be done for medical reasons. I would miss the expression too much.

EEK! LIke I said this stuff can be a touchy subject to some. hope I didn't start into something.

Sara, of course you can do breed of the day silly girl!
    I always love reading them, but so many are busy enjoying summer right now it has been slow. I just jump in and do it whenever i notice it hasn't been done in a couple of days!

19. Sara

Sara New Member

I didn't mean to offend anyone honestly... The thing is, As an owner and advocate for the APBT I find it truly unnerving at how many people think they know what an APBT looks like and at how many dog attacks are perpetrated by what the media calls a pit bull when the dog is not...it's just touchy for me I guess... Just think of the "Sam" story and remember that in many cities when an APBT is picked up as a stray there is not a question about whether or not the dog lives or dies...regardless of age many cities will absolutely under no circumstances re-home an APBT...so they are automatically put down...no matter what. The reason behind it is the hysteria that "pit bull" has caused by it's use in the media...for basically ANY bully breed that carries out an attack...so...yeah it's touchy for me...

Cropping and Docking is totally personal preference and it is our right to choose to do that or not... That's life I guess... Give and take....in order to keep some freedoms we have to give up others and in order for me to be free to keep my APBT's I have to deal with the fact that others are free to cut up their ears and tails (my second breed of choice is the Boerboel and they are docked).

20. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Sara I am also an owner an advocate of the breed. And of course these dogs do not look exactly the same but they do have similar traits. And that is simply all I meant.
    Also the reason why I stated I hated to compare dogs is because I to hate to see dogs who are similar to an APBT be labeled as such especially when it is in a negative way.