1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breed of the Day!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by bullylove1, Jun 19, 2004.

1. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Okay, I am going to do an easy one today. Today's breed of the day is the Amercian Staffordshire Terrier, also called an AmStaff. For those of you who don't know, this is my doggie Harley, so I am just going to show her pics and put some info on the breed. Anyone who feels like doing another one, please do so!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pronunciation
    American Staffordshire Terrier
    Description
    The American Staffordshire is a very muscular, stocky, yet agile dog, and is extremely strong for his size. He has a broad, powerful head, short muzzle, and very strong jaws. The ears are generally cropped, though this is optional. The eyes are round and black. The teeth should form a scissors bite. Its coat is made up of thick, short, shiny hair. All colors are admissible, but dogs must not be more than 80% white. The tail tapers to a point. The ears are erect and docked slightly. Classed by AKC as "American Staffordshire Terrier" and by UKC as "American Pit Bull Terrier." The American Staffordshire Terrier, are generally of larger bone structure, head size and weight then their cousins the American Pit Bull Terrier.
    Temperament
    Although it is a courageous and persistent fighter if provoked, and needs firm, kind training to control this instinct, its basic temperament towards people is gentle and loving. The American Staffordshire Terrier is a good-natured, amusing, extremely loyal and affectionate family pet. It is good with children and adults. Almost always obedient, this dog wants nothing more then to please its master. It is an extremely courageous and intelligent guard dog that is very full of life. Highly protective of his owners and the owner's property, it will fight an enemy to the death. This breed has a very high tolerance for pain. Socialize very thoroughly when young to combat aggressive tendencies and be sure to keep the dog under control when other dogs are present. This breed can be difficult to housebreak. It has given outstanding results as a guardian of property, but is at the same time esteemed as a companion dog. When properly trained, this is a very good dog.
    Height, Weight
    Height: Dogs 17-19 inches (43-48cm) Bitches 16-18 inches (41-46cm)
    Weight: 57-67 pounds (25-30 kg)
    Health Problems
    A generally healthy breed. Some are prone to hip dysplasia and hereditary cataracts.
    Living Conditions
    The Staffordshire Terrier will do okay in an apartment if it is sufficiently exercised. It is very active indoors and will do alright without a yard. This breed prefers warm climates.
    Exercise
    American Staffordshire Terriers must have plenty of regular exercise, but keep them leashed in public to avoid fights with other dogs.
    Life Expectancy
    About 10-12 years.
    Grooming
    The smooth, short-haired coat is easy to groom. Brush on a regular basis with a firm bristle brush, and bathe or dry shampoo as necessary. A rub with a piece of toweling or chamois will make the coat gleam. This breed is an average shedder.
    Origin
    In the nineteenth century in the English region of Staffordshire, crossing among the Bulldog and various terriers developed the muscular, active, combative American Staffordshire Bullterrier. Brought to the United States, the breed was preferred by American breeders who increased its weight and gave it a more powerful head. Now recognized as a separate breed, the American Staffordshire is larger and heavier than his British cousin, the American Bullterrier. After dog fighting was banned in the United States in 1900, two strains of these dogs were developed, a show strain and a fighting dog strain. The show strain was labeled the American Staffordshire, while the fighting dog strain was labeled the American Pit Bull Terrier. The two are now being recognized as separate breeds. Today the American Pit Bull Terrier is being bred with the same gentle qualities as the American Staffordshire Terrier. They both make great pets with the right kind of owner. Some of the American Staffordshire Terriers talents are watchdog, guarding, police work, weight pulling and agility.
    Group
    Mastiff, AKC Terrier
    Recognition
    FCI, AKC, CKC, NKC, NZKC, CKC, APBR, ANKC

I agree with most of this. I was on a different site that said they make good guard dogs. This is an untrue fact, and I am not the only one to think this. Yes, they are very territorial, but not human aggressive so the part about fighting the enemy to the death, I find a bit over the top. With Harley, and all other AmStaffs I have encountered, their bark is far worse than their bite. If someone were to break in to our home, Harley would show you around to our most valuables if you gave her a nice pat on the back first.

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

OH she's such a beautiful dog. That last photo say's "I know I'm good!!!"

Yeah, I think if someone was to break into our place, Char would hold the door open and say "Have a nice day!"

3. Rene

Rene New Member

she is so pretty love that face i just made her a pup pal with my dogs :eek:

4. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

thanks!!

5. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Great choice for Breed of the day.
    My dogs would also let anyone come in and pack our house away as long as they left the toys!

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Samanthas right about one thing, my beagel blossom would have licked the barrol of a robbers gun given the chance. Awsome pictures, i could never get any of my pets to pose so well.

7. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

hehe it takes lots of patience and treats. It took like 5 of the one outside, she kept tunning off and all I got was her butt!!

8. Rene

Rene New Member

are they good with other dogs?? My rottie passed away in march and i showed your baby to him and he loves her also BUT i have 2 yorkies and 4 cats i really dont need another dog but i really miss haveing the BIG dog around i felt so much safer being a single mom i like to feel safe.

so are they good with little creatures??

9. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

Hi Rene: Sorry it took me so long to post back. I can't get on my computer at home, I think it has a virus.

Most AmStaffs can be tolerant of dogs. Some are great with dogs, you never have to worry. Harley is very dog agressive, so she is unable to have any real pup pals.

If socialized from birth they can be fine with other dogs. You do have to keep in mind that it is in their trait to be dog agressive, so you may or may not get an agressive one. They don't really mature (agression wise) until about 2 or 3 so it could take a couple years before you really know how its gonna work out.

AmStaff's should not be left alone with other dogs when there is no supervision. For this reason, crating is an excellent way to keep your pup outta trouble. My experience with AmStaff's is they LOVE LOVE to chew EVERYTHING. So crating is really the ideal way to go to keep your doggie safe.

I honestly have never owned a dog that has shown me so much affection in my life. AmStaff's are very people oriented and truely crve human attention.

If you decide to go through rescue (please do) hehe, all dogs are temperment tested first and the rescue will let you know which dogs can be in multi-dog homes and which ones should be only dogs.

Hope I helped answer your question, even with my rambling all about.

10. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Wow, that last picture is amazing! She is such a pretty girl.