1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breed of the Day

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Jul 15, 2004.

?

Like this idea?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Ok so I've got a new Idea for the breed of the day. How about one of us say a breed and then each one of us lists a fact about that breed!

I'll start: Yorkshire Terrier

2. Rene

Rene New Member

:eek: My favorite little dogs :lol:

The Yorkshire terrier--more informally known as the Yorkie has become one of the most popular breeds of small dog in the United States today.

Cute. Energetic. Playful. Loyal. Fearless. Loving. Intelligent. Sassy. Did I mention cute?

Yorkshire terriers are tiny dogs with big hearts to whom life with a loving family is the ultimate goal. Yorkies are perky, energetic dogs who love to be with people. They are sturdy enough to make fine walking companions, but small enough to get all the exercise they need running around in your home. They are active dogs who are endlessly entertaining--"colorful characters " might be a good description. Yorkies seem to imagine themselves to be several times their actual size--something like a small child imagining himself to be a giant!

Yorkies are very intelligent and readily accept training. While still not common, more and more Yorkies are competing in agility trials.
    They love getting attention from their families and dislike being ignored for long periods of time.

Yorkies are wonderful companions for those who live alone. Their antics and playfulness are a sure-fire cure for the blues! Yorkies also get along very well with other small dogs and cats. Yorkies love to be touched and held, making them an ideal "lap dog".

Yorkies fit well into family life and will tend to take on the characteristics of the family. Quiet households will result in quiet Yorkies. Noisy, rowdy households will result in noisy, rowdy Yorkies! Yorkies are not the quietest dog in the world, but they are not as yappy as some believe either. Yorkies will alert you that someone is at the door, but do not endlessly bark just to hear themselves sing!

Yorkies can develop remarkably long hair coats if special care is taken. You can also keep your Yorkie attractively clipped to reduce the needed grooming. Yorkies do not shed, as they have no undercoat of hair. Yorkies grow hair very similar to a human's hair and are thus often considered great choices for those who are allergic to dog dander. Regular bathing reduces allergens to a very low level.

As adults, Yorkies should weigh no more than seven pounds to meet the breed standard regarding weight. A larger Yorkie can make a great friend--they just don't meet the breed standard in this respect. Most show Yorkies tend to be in the 6-7 pound range. Despite advertising by some breeders, there is no such thing a "teacup" Yorkies. Poodles are the only breed that have a teacup class.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I love Yorkies! I have also thought about owning this breed sometime. A local trainer I met has a bunch of them - and they are teeny tiny ones!

She has a story about how she told one of them to sit while she was in the bathroom drying her hair. She forgot about the dog and left, turning off the lights as she went.

Later, she couldn't find the dog. She suddenly remembered and went running to the bathroom and turned on the light. There the little dog was, still sitting right where she had told her to!

Poor baby. She sure got a "jackpot" treat for that one!

Jamiya

4. Rene

Rene New Member

how cute humm only if my listened :shock:

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Yeah, no doubt. If that had been Nala, she would have decorated the house with toilet paper and eaten everything in the bathroom garbage.

Speaking of which, my agility trainer said to put a mouse trap in the garbage. That way the garbage would "bite" Nala when she tried to steal something from it and it would have nothing to do with me being present - should only take once. I suppose it would work and she said it wouldn't do any damage to Nala - but couldn't I just get a garbage can with a lid on it so she can't get into it??

Jamiya

6. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

There are also things you can get, I don't know what they're called, but I've seen them at party stores, joke shops, places like that.... that would be a scare instead of a physical pain. They are wound up with something like a rubber band, and you set them somewhere, and when someone or something touches them, they go off, and spin and make noise, and are supposed to startle the person (or animal). I'll try to figure out what they are called. You can make them yourself with wood and a rubber band, my granddad used to make them for us. I don't know if it would take more than that to make an impression on her or not, but it might work. But I have heard of people putting things like that into things their dog gets into to scare them from doing it anymore.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Good idea! I will look for something like that.

I once bought these things that are supposed to be used to startle a cat so it doesn't go in certain locations. It is really just a mouse trap with this big plastic paddle on it. However, I couldn't get it to stay set right, and while trying the thing went off and smacked me. My finger hurt a LOT for days. We didn't use them for the cat and threw them away.

Jamiya

8. Samsintentions

Sounds like that could be potentialy dangerous to an animal! I wouldn't use them at all. It could really injure one. Then what, I'd rather have my pet annoy the heck out of me than to try to solve the problem by harming them!

9. lil96

lil96 New Member

I thought this sounded funny about Yorkies
    How to put crackers to a show yorkie

PREPARATIVES

Firstly we will prepare the things that we are going to need, and we will keep in mind that we are speaking about a mature yorkie, with a very long coat. I usually start to put crackers to my yorkies at about 9 or 10 month, according to the hair of each one. In a big recipient will make a mixture of oil and cream conditioner (I use # 1 All System) dissolved in warm water, in order to sink the dog after the bath.

Then we will cut strips of acid-free tissue paper, of enough long to cover the whole coat tuft we are going to wrap, and we will fold the strips to wrap each tuft of hair. We will have near us some elastic bands to hold each cracker that we put. We will need also a fine comb with its handle finished in a long needle, a pin brush and a good quality pair of scissor.

[​IMG]

BATH AND DRYED

Now and with all preparation, will take our yorkie and we will put it into the bath, we give him a hand of shampoo (lanolin or proteins shampoo) and we rinse him very well. If it's necessary we can give him a second hand of shampoo. Now and with its hair clean and well rinsed, we will put the dog inside the recipient that previously we had prepared with the oil and cream mixture. We sink him until the neck, being careful not to scare him and with a ladle, we will tossing him water for the head (never sink the head into the water) with the purpose of whole hair is totally impregnated of the oily preparation.

We will take out the dog of the water and we will wrap him in a towel and without rubbing we will drying off, letting the towel goes absorbing the excess of water. Next we will place him on his legs in a table with a nonskid surface, we apply him the dryer with the hot air, being careful not to burn him the skin and hair. We will go brushing the hair taking care at the same time that we going drying him. If we find any tangle we will open it with our finger tips and we will continue brushing until this one be untangled, trying no to pull up him hair. When all dog is dryied and well brushing, you may see his coat lightly oily, now we can begin to put crackers.

CRACKERING THE YORKIE

Each one has their own way to make it, but I usually begin with the head, in order to he has the hair in the eyes and mouth so less time than it be possible. With the comb, we will make a line from the external end of the eye until the ear, and from behind of ear to ear, and the resulting tuft will wrap it in one of the paper ribbons that we had prepared. We bend the wrapped up tuft on itself several times until having a small cracker. Then we will hold it with an elastic band. Should be strong, but it must not cause any damage to the dog. Next, we will take him a tuft of hair to each side of the mouth (the mustaches) and another in the chin, and we hold them at same way.

Now we turn the dog and we make the line to the center, placing the coat well combed to each side of the body. We separate the tale hair and we place another cracker, holding it with an elastic band at the end of the tale tip (care, never put the band on the tail, because it could be gangrened, and have always clear the anal area). In this way, we will go separating tuft to each side of the dog's body and wrapping them in crackers. The sides of the neck in a same way and in the chest we will put him other two, in way that will have 4 crackers in the head, 2 in the chest, 1 in the tail, 5 at each side of the body and 1 in each leg. Now he is crackered, we put in his back feet two little socks, hold them with an adhesive ribbon, so that when the dog is scratching the head, he doesn't break his hair. (The nails should be very short).

All of this may seems a little complicated, but according we will go making it we will find it easier and we will go taking the exact point, that will make us to go more quickly. When the day of exhibition you remove the crackers from the dog, you bath and drying him, you will have a beautiful specimen of Yorkshire Terrier, shining his coat with all its splendour. This moment is one of more satisfactory for a breeder, showing the results of its work and dedication. You will be able to check it by yourself, and then you will tell me...
    [​IMG]
    I think that butt pic is too funny!! But hopefully now everyone will be able to cracker their yorkie!
    got it from http://www.shilhayorks.com/paginas/Como poner bigudies (eng)1.htm

10. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

Okay---- here's my contribution to the yorkshire terrier subject..... There's a comic strip I love called "Not in my Backyard". It's about the day to day adventures of a squirrel despising dachshund, and his neighborhood dog friends--- Including two constantly vocal little yorkies named Bip and Bap.
    [​IMG]

If you go to the website you can see all of the comic strips from this series.

11. lil96

lil96 New Member

everyone seemed to like this idea, but not so many contributors! Maybe we can do a dog of the week?
    Ok Yorkie Rescue
    http://www.yorkshireterrierrescue.net/
    Their motto: Finding Second Homes for "First-Class Yorkies"

12. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

aww i love those dogs!

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Look at the photos of Coco on the link to rescue (above)!! What a doll!!

Jamiya

14. Rene

Rene New Member

I just love that little face she looks alot like my Sebastain

15. GinaH

GinaH New Member

What about instead of breed of the day we do a rescue of the day or rescue of the week? It would not only be fun but possibly helpful to the dog in need?

16. Samsintentions

Gina I love that idea!

17. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

Why don't we make the rescue dog of the day/week the breed of the day/week? I know that my own interest and desire for certain types of dogs has been peeked due to what I have read in our breed of the day postings. What do you think?

18. OneWolvesDream

i vote for of the week. but one thing, why cant we have both?

19. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

OneWolf- Read one post up. That's why I suggested the Rescue of the Week (whatever day it is posted) could also be that days breed of the day. Then if everyone wanted to, they can continue with the breed of the day every day. Just on the Rescue of the Week's day we would make it also the breed of the day to learn about the breed to be rescued. Make any sense or am I not explain this right? I know what I mean in my head just not sure if my fingers are with the program!!! :lol:

20. OneWolvesDream

oops, i just scan most of the posts. aww, and i thought it was a good idea and i was all proud. lol. jk.