1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breeding Grass

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

This is probably obvious but if anyone is having trouble with their livebearer babies getting eaten I discovered that the plastic plant called breeding grass floats perfectly on the top of the water upside down and that is where I find my little newborns. It is almost completely danger proof.

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Yep, almost all livebearer breeders use this with their fish including platties, mollies, and guppies. Even with breeding grass it is not certain that the fish wont get eaten because the fish can still get to the fry and the fry dont always find the breeding grass in time if the mother chooses another place for birth.

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

Better than that are floating bunches of hornwort. That way the fry can hide out and have a snack :)

4. OneWolvesDream

I tryed the hornwort, didnt give much of a protection, my fish loved eating it all up so by the time she gave birth it was all gone, tho, if you hav it set up for that night, it might work, just keep in mind its still very open to other fish to come and have a snack. When getting breeding grass there are many options, the live grass type one or the fake plastic type one, if you are going into breeding as a hobby, i would think it is best go for the plastic one so you can use it over, if it is in a general time area close to eachother go with the real plant, just be careful cause once again the fish do eat the plants so try get it as close as possible in there cause you will need as much covering as possible.

Edit: You know that most livebearer fry will only start eating within 3-5 days, and during that time it is best to move them to a safe home, when you are feeding them go wiht baby shrimp, live or frozen in the petstore or go with power based foods.

5. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Well that explains why my baby fry won't eat the food yet. Do they have a yolk sac or don't livebearers get them?

6. OneWolvesDream

Yup, its a yolk sac. the little yellow thing they hav, depending on the number of babies born. When the 3 days are over just put a little food, not to much and see if it eats, when it begins to eat the food then you can slowly feed a little bit more. My mickey mouse platy fry got off their yolk in 8 days and my tuxedo got off it in 4 days, i think it will differ depending on the number born.