1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breeding Guppies and already one pregnant female died today!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nameless, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Nameless

Nameless New Member

My water quality is good, my water temperature is good, the male female ratio is quiet good, their are a lot of hiding places, and the containers are clean, what more am I supposed to do. This is my second attempt at breeding feeder guppies that I bought just yesterday and already I am running into the same problem I had before of dying pregnant females. I problem is not having pregnant female guppies, my problems are having pregnant female feeder guppies that die before giving birth. What should I do?

2. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Today, my second pregnant female guppy died. That is two females dead and 7 more left. I am beginning to see the same pattern from the last time I tried breeding feeder guppies.

3. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I bought origianly 5 feeder guppies to breed. They all died.. I have 3 fry from one of them but she died yesterday. I have 2 other female guppys(normal nothign special) And one fancy orange guppy ive had them for a long time in my 20g there all doing great but my feeders died to :cry:

4. Hooben

Hooben New Member

You have to be cautious with feeder guppys. Usually they are the ones that are not too healthy. They are selected out of bunches for their substandard colors and health. You cannot count on them to reproduce like a fancy guppy. Why not try fancy guppies but get rid of your feeders first. I'm sure your results will be a lot different!

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

True. I only wanted feeder guppies for the purposes of giving my fish a treat. Maybe I could do the same with the fancy types. But my concern is that, why is it only the pregnant females that always die and never the males or non-pregnant females?

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Being pregnant is a major stress. Add that to an already weakened/unhealthy fish, and it could just be too much for her.

-Chelle

7. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I see your point, but I am very frustrated because it killed all of the females the last time.

8. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I want to try to breed platies again.. i had 1 m 1 f but i went away for 4 days and the Female disappeared :roll: