1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Breeding Plecos

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by DUCKLE-BUM, May 26, 2004.

1. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Hiya

Just wanted to find out if anybody knew anything about breeding Plecos?
    I though they where virtually impossible to breed outside the wild, however I saw some very small ones in my LFS.

Any thoughts peeps?

Duckle-bum

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

it is close to impossible. there has maybe only been one recorded account and that person doesnt even know how he/she did it.. also it is extreemly hard to tell genders.

3. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

So every Pleco I that I have ever seen, originally came from it's natural environment? that's a mighty sad thought :cry:

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

5. Hooben

Hooben New Member

I'm looking at the "trinidad pleco" in a catalog and it states that it is farm raised. So not all plecos are wild caught. I'll be looking for more information and let you know.

6. J_acon

J_acon New Member

Is not impossible, i know this guy from a chat room who is having so many bristlenose eggs that he doesn't know what to do with them. All his cat fish are reproducing like rabbits.

The eggs are huge and orange in colour and the male will guard them.

So is possible

7. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

wow, id always read that you cannot under any circumstnces breed pleccos in captivity.

but, i reckon, if the environment is very natural, it could be done

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I think bristlenose plecos are one of the very few that will actually breed in captivity. Most other species are wild caught.

-Chelle

9. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i used to have a bristle nose plecco, but when i baught it from the LFS i didnt see what one they gave me till i got home. it turned out to be tidgy. the size of your thumb, and suprise suprise, it died a few days later.

poor thing, it was far too young to be given away!