1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

breeding problems with tiels

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by jcleary, May 19, 2004.

1. jcleary

jcleary New Member

hey everyone whats up? i have been trying to breed my cockatiels for a little while now with no success. the female has laid eggs and the male was sitting on them but i didn't have a box for them so i bought one and moved the eggs in. the birds never went into the box to care for the eggs so obviously they went bad. the birds still have not entered the box yet and i'm not sure how to coax them into the box. also how long should i expect the female to need in between egg layings? is it easier to breed parakeets? maybe i should try my keets instead? :shock:

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi when breeding any birds they should be allowed to have a break for about 6weeks before allowing another clutch of eggs.

With your cockatiels laying there eggs on the cage floor the likelihood of these eggs hatching would have been small as they cannot be incubated properly.

THe best way to get the birds used to the nest box is to place both birds inside and allow them to come out through the hole themsleves this will then entise the male to go in and out and make the adjustments to the nest before he will allow the female to lay her eggs in it.

The nest should be lined with about 2inches of plain wood shavings packed down and the male will make whatever changes he thinks should be made.

When moving eggs into a nest box always but the hen in the nest and usually she will sit the eggs well.
    You will find that the male usually sits the eggs during the day and the female at night with mine they both sit the eggs on a night.

Make sure she has plenmty of cuttlefish bone and mineral blocks.
    Also soft foods such as boiled eggs mushed up, Boiled rice and pasta,Whole wheat bread and fresh fruit and veg.

Breeding keets is just as hard.

You can email me if you would like more help or advice.

mike

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Good Luck, I've never had any sucess breeding birds so i commend you if you pull it off, I think its just hard unless you do it professionally or its in the wild. :y_the_best:

4. DonnyBrasco

DonnyBrasco New Member

Breeding Cocktiels

i have been searching the net on info for a brooding/incubator box help pls.

i am looking for pics, sizes and what strenght bulb to use to keep babies warm :|

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

6. DonnyBrasco

DonnyBrasco New Member

Thanx for the info will check them tomorrow :) finished work for the day. :lol:

7. DonnyBrasco

DonnyBrasco New Member

Took a brief look what i am looking for is how to make one myself (DIY).

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Making a brooder or incubater can be done with a cardboard box or ply wood and should have ventilation holes aswell as a heat source that has temprature control.

If you know of any breeders in the area maybe they will know of someone that will show you how to make one.

When i hand reared my baby cockatiels from 3days old i had them in a cardboard box with a heating pad underneath a sheet and kept a check to make sure they were not too warm as soon as the temp went up i would turn it down.

mike

9. DonnyBrasco

DonnyBrasco New Member

Thanx for the info charmedagain :) going to local pet shop tomorrow and ask got the 2 babies in a wood box at the moment with ventilation holes drilled around the top with a low wat bulb in it. the box is 30cmx30cmx3cm with a layer of saw dust at the bottom