1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Bringing a new pup home when my present pup has had parvo!!!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by dml19x, Jan 3, 2005.

1. dml19x

dml19x New Member

My 7 month old chocolate lab had gotten parvo about 4 months ago. Luckily I caught it early and he was treated and recovered. I am now about to get an 8 month old lab/hound mix. The girl I am getting her from says that she has recieved her 8, 12, and 16 week shots, BUT she said she bought the vaccines from the store and gave them to her herself. Is this effective???? Does anyone have an opinion on wether or not my new pup will get parvo????
    PLEASE HELP!

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I dont know, have you cleaned and sterlized your house and property, that is a must before getting another dog.

as for parvo vaccination, can it be done again?? to be on the safe side

honeybear

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

The new pup should be protected, however do bleach everything you can in your house first. Check the sticky thread about Parvo for instructions. You can also have a parvo titer done on the new pup rather than vaccinate again, to make sure he is immune.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

The vaccinations from the store are the same from the vet.

Bleach everything and completely sterilize your house and yard before bringing the pup home. Other than that I think it'll be ok. Just watch for any signs.

How long ago was the last shot? If its been over a month. It will not hurt to give a booster.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I disagree. Every booster weakens the immune system further.

6. 2BlackCats

2BlackCats New Member

I will echo the others when I say that you must sterilize your house and lawn as much as possible with a bleach and water solution. We lost our 6mo. pup to parvo in September, and will be getting a new pup sometime around April or so.

I took the bleach/water solution and cleaned everything in the house that I could with it. The kitchen and bathroom floors, the sinks, and any objects that would not be affected by the bleach. If you do some searching on parvo and the methods to disinfect, and read the stickys..you should be fine. Hubby and I have sprayed our lawn twice just to be on the safe side. It did discolor the lawn, but I wanted to make sure that we had all of the bases covered. That being said, there isnt much you can do but wait. Cleaning the areas and time, are the only things that will ensure the virus is at an acceptable level. Also, since the pup you are getting is already 8 mo. old, he should have a stronger immune system than that of a very young pup.

And yes, the shots that your new pup has recieved are the same that a vet would use. I think that if you know for sure the new dog is UTD on its shots, I would not give another. I have no clue if this is related, but my pup had her last parvo shot about 3 weeks before she died. I dont know if this maybe made her more suseptible to the virus for a short time or what. Im sure there are others on the board that will know more about giving the pup another booster. Just my two cents.

Congrats on the new pup!! Good luck, and since your lab has had parvo, you will know the warning signs to look for. My advice though, would not to worry yourself overly much. Being aware of the new dogs health and keeping a mental track of where it goes, or what it may come in contact with is important, but dont let worry get in the way of enjoying your new dog.

7. dml19x

dml19x New Member

house that has had parvo

I gave her a vaccine for parvo today, she actually will not even be coming home till wednesday. my husband will not let me bleach the yard so there is not much I can do about that! I think i might get her a titre. Thanks for all your advise!! I really appreciate it and im gonna try not to worry so much!

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

No need to get a titer if you have already re-vaccinated.