1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

brown algea ... ...

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Sep 5, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

Anyone have ways of getting rid of brown algea. almost every week i have to take out the decorations and scrub it off
    is there any solutions

2. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

Brown algae is the first stage, then it goes to a reddesh, then green. Algae eaters wont eat it until its green, so you pretty much just have to wait until it grows green, or do what you're doing right now, which is cleaning it out.
    How long do you have your light on?
    Is your tank in direct sunlight?
    What kind of light do you have?

I'm having problems with my own algae not turning green, so then my algae eater doesn't have anything to eat.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

No, brown algae, red algae, and green algae are not the same thing. They are all completely different organisims.

Brown algae, also called diatoms, is generally caused by not enough light or too many nutrients (like nitrAtes) in the water.

-Chelle

4. tyler_medeiros

the tank gets almost no direct sunlight but we ussually leave the light on almost all day from like 9 in the morning untill 9 at night.
    I also do weekly water changes so i dont think the nitrates are any higher then 10ppm

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Does the tank have sand? How old are the light bulbs?

-Chelle

6. tyler_medeiros

no its gravel teh bulb is the one that came with the tank and its only like 6-8 months old.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Hmmmm . . .

Try cutting back on the feeding a little.

-Chelle