1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Buddy's voracious chewing problem

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by mamabear_34, Jan 18, 2005.

1. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

I need some advise all. Buddy is my almost two year old 60 pound boxer/lab mix. He is the worlds most lovable and sweet dog, but I have a problem finding him chewy toys or treats. If I give him rawhide he literaly EATS it within a few minutes (even the largest ones). These give terrible smelly gas and make him not nice to be around because of the smell. I have given him the smoked knuckle bones which he loves but if my smaller dog Buffy gets ahold of them they are so rich that she throws up for 2-3 days afterward. Buddy has also successfully chews to small bits-tennis balls, kongs, rubber tire toys, soccer balls, ropes, rubber bones, plastic dog dishes, nylon leashes and just about anything else we either do or do not give him. Is there ANYTHING that I can give him to chew on that will not hurt him? When he is chewing it is almost as if he is using a pacifier. His eyes are half closed and he just seems so content. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated!!

2. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

which kongs do you buy? there are some bulky black ones that are supposed to be really sturdy. Other than that, I have no idea. My dog (Ranger) likes to chew, but he is content with a little stuffed animal, and he loves them so much he couldn't bear to shred or tear them! I have absolutely no idea! So sorry, and I hope you find something!

3. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I have one of these dogs that chews everything, from shoes to concrete (yes i caught him chewing on concrete). Nylabone makes these bones for tough chewers - there are a few different types. But they all say - for extra tough chewers or something of that nature. One is named Galileo (just bought it) and he has a few others. It is the only thing I have found that he can't chew into little pieces. I don't give him any rawhide or anything edible b/c he has allergies so he can't have those things. I also worry about him eating too big of pieces.

4. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

I tried a nylabone for ranger (just so I could buy one that would last and last) and it left little sticky things everywhere. Maybe it was just the kind I bought, becuase it was edible.

5. someday

someday New Member

Annie's also quite a chewer...the big basted bones keep her busy but she eventually destroys them...the only toy that has held up to her with no little pieces coming off is a green ring I bought at a local pet store...it's made by Four Paws and it's from their Rough and Rugged line...I've had it for months and no damage even from swinging in the air tug o war..so..I'm impresed.

6. someday

someday New Member

7. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Try the solid Nylabone, not the edible one. Duke and freckles both love to chew them and they do last.

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Nala has yet to meet a Nylabone of any kind that she can't chew up and eat pieces of it.

Bully sticks are a good thing that is safe to eat, although somewhat smelly. I used to get the jumbo ones, but they are sort of pricey and Nala has learned to eat them too fast now so they don't last very long.

I have actually found that most things that are hard enough for her to not destroy are things she doesn't really want to chew on. I got this really hard thing shaped like a turkey leg that the dogs will sometimes chew on, and it seems to be holding up well. I think PetsMart had it. I also used to buy those short little stuffed bones, and after eating all the filling out they do enjoy chewing on the remaining bone. Sometimes I worry it will break their teeth, but they seem fine so far.

I found this other rubbery sort of bone-thing that says it is indestructible and will refund your money if they chew it up. So far it seems to be holding up, but they also don't chew on it much. Of course.

If you do find anything that works for your boy, let us know because I am constantly looking for something we can use!

9. honeybears

honeybears New Member

mamabear, can you try larger knuckles bones that buffy cant chew. Wylie is a chewer, like you say its her pacifer luckily she only chews on her bones Wylie loves the smoked knuckles and they last for months, jus tjust knaws and knaws, what I love about them is they dont splinter

honeybear

10. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

I bought one of the black kong bones for Piper last week. She had several pieces bitten off within 5 minutes. Petsmart did refund my $18.00 without a problem, which made me happy. She has two of the very hard Nylabones that she has not been able to destroy, but they have sharp splinters that have snagged my comforter very badly. I worry that they are cutting up her mouth, but she continues to chew on them? Other than that, she has yet to find anything she cannot destroy. I buy her the edible Nylabones, but make her keep them outside (which she isn't happy about) because they do make a very big mess. She has even eaten two of the huge rope toys. I am going to try Someday's suggestion - we have become desperate just like everyone else!

11. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Be very careful with rope toys. Nala loves them, but I don't give them to her because she would eat them. Anything with fibers like that can be VERY dangerous when a dog eats it. It can cause an impaction, or it can become tangled in their intestines so that surgery is necessary to save the dog's life.

12. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

Sorry, I didn't mean she had "eaten" the rope - she shredded them. Now she only gets to play with the rope (it's her favorite toy) when we take it out to throw with her. Once we are finished with her game, it goes away for the next time.

13. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I"ve found that the best thing for Hanky is a frozen black kong. She can't destroyit.
    I also bought a ball for Harley my grandmothers weenie, and he destroys EVERYTHING. Its called the
    "Indestructaball"

So far (its been about a year) he hasnt' destroyed it yet, and he CONSTANTLY plays with it. He's a severe ball-a-holic....

14. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: Ok good news!! I went to our local Pet Supply store and found a toy called a Hurley, West Paw design. Buffy and Buddy each got one and they have been chewing on them all day and I cant find a chew mark in either one!! The tag on the back says-

Made of Zogoflex
    So tough we guarantee it against "dog damage". If your dog is able to chew this toy up, send Hurley back to us with proof of purchase and we will send you a replacement, no charge! Guarantee is for product exchange only and damage to the toy is at the discretion of West Paw Design. See our website for details, www.westpawdesign.com

If they chew them up I will be sending them RIGHT BACK!!! I will keep you all posted on how they hold up. And thank you all for your wonderful help!!

15. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

I looked up the Hurley yesterday and found a store close to me. I stopped and bought it on my way home from work. Piper absolutely loved it! I loved it too, for a few hours. She had to work harder with this than anything else, but before she went to bed, she had several pieces (about the size of quarters) torn off. :roll: She isn't happy with ME about taking her new favorite toy away. I guess I'll be sending it back to West Paw - I'll let you know how that works out...

16. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Yes! That's the thing I have, too. But my dogs rarely play with it or chew on it. :|

17. mamabear_34

mamabear_34 New Member

Dang it!! Yes Piper's mom I will taking mine back too :cry: . Buddy was able to have it torn into pieces this morning so we are all sad!! Maybe if the company made them in a solid cylinder shape instead of a bone shape they would hold up longer?!?! *sign* Another one bites the dust!!

18. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Maybe you could rent Buddy out to your local recycling center where he could earn good money as a shredder. :D Any dog that can destroy a Kong is indeed exceptional. Let us know if you find anything that holds up. LOL.

19. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

20. Piper's Mom

Piper's Mom New Member

I think we should offer our pups to these toy makers as an "official tester" ... maybe they'd even let us keep the one (if this ever happens) that holds up! :lol: