1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Budgie Nest Box for Zebra Finch

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by iobre8ks, Dec 21, 2004.

1. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

I used to have two budgies when they died i sold every thing but the nest box it was outside for a couple of months it now has mold on it would it be ok to soak it in bleach water and then let it air dry for a day or two? Would it be safe for them to use it since the bleach would kill all of the mold. I do know that letting it air dry is one of the best things to do. What do you suggest?

2. drab911

drab911 New Member

How much are one of them worth? Cause personally if it is not to too expensive id just go and buy a new one since your buying all new stuff anyways.. just easier on your mind ya know... and if your asking cause your thinkin of selling it, might not be a good idea incase you kill somone else's bird... just a thought

3. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

I want to use it for my finches since it is larger than closed wicker basket and would give the babies room to run around a little. It would also be easier for me to see the babies since the top opens very easily. They cost anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars which i don't have. I am 15 and don't get paid too often and don't have much money to spend that is why i usually only buy food when i get paid.

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

sorry man i didnt know your situation... I am not too sure how well bleach would dissinfect your nest.. Id imagine it would be alright because bleach is suppost to kill anything on natural perches...

5. iobre8ks

iobre8ks New Member

i work at a dairy store and we use bleech water to steralize everything that is why i was wondering if it would be ok. Since if there is mold on some cheese we cut it off and then repackage the cheese and disinfect all of the tools with bleech water so that the mold which is like cancer to cheese doesn't spread.

6. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi i would not give this nest to the finch's the reason for this is that because of the size the female will not feel safe and the chances of her not laying or if she does breaking the eggs or killing the chicks is high once they start the habit of killing chicks and breaking eggs it is hard to stop them.

You can construct a nest box for finch's yourself i have added a picture of another finch box that you can make yourself its cheap and easy...

[​IMG]

People think the reason nest boxes for finch's are small because the bird is small this is not the reason the reason they are small is because when they have chicks its easier to keep the nest warm in a small space where in a larger space the heat spreads around and the chicks end up getting a chill...

So its always best to go with a finch nest they do not have open tops or sides this is because if they did when it was opened the parents or chicks could escape and cause themselves and injury or worse because of them being so fast..

Mike