1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Budgie

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Loach, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Loach

Loach New Member

What is the best way to hand/finger train my budgee and best way to teach him to talk? i also heard about bringing them into your shower?

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi budgies are the hardest to teach to speak and its usually just the males that do it.

The most simple and most effective way of finger training your bird is by placing your hand inside the cage slowly and holding it still talk calmly and gently during the hole process
    Once the bird has settled back down move your hand closer to him if he flaps about stop and hold your hand still again.

Do this for a few days for about 15minutes once he is comftable with your hand being in the cage and moving you can eventually move your hand so your finger is pressing gently against his chest.

When you have achieved this simply use the command up in a gentle voice and eventually he will step up onto your finger hold your hand in the cage with him perched on your finger eventually you will be able to start moving your hand out of the cage but if he flies off your finger in the cage try again until you can eventually get him out of the cage withhim sat on your finger.

Having the wings clipped is another way of helping to train birds because since they can not fly properly like they would fully feathered they depend on you whcih makes training alot easier.

It takes time and patience to hand tame a bird so give it time and it will pay off..

Mike

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

Ive had dogs and cats for so long now I forgot how much fun it was to have a budgie. The last one I had (Peppi) I got when he was really young and his flight feathers hadnt grown so he was tamed really fast, he flew off with my ring once, I found it a few days later buried under some feathers in his cage (is that normal for a budgie??) he used to play fetch too, I'd throw one of his little toys and if he couldnt pick it up with his beak he'd knock it back to me, he'd eat off my plate :roll: but he didnt like peas and would throw them off, the dog would sit behind and catch them.....think its time for me get another budgie :)