1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

budgies or parrotlet?? plz help!

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by xgacktx, Jun 3, 2006.

1. xgacktx

xgacktx New Member

which bird would you advise getting? i think both are beautiful. but need to know a few things about each. (like the size, how much noise they make, which are better tempered, etc.) my grandparents have a bird, some of my friends do and my church has two birds. i've alwayz loved them and bond quickly with them. problem is my mom and birds DON"T get along. (i'm 16 so i have to point out good things about them to convince her to let me get one or two) also i was wondering if i had a cage that was really tall but not very wide if that would be ok or if i have to have a cage with a large base? just wondering. thankz 4 the help! ^_^

~kyla

2. xgacktx

xgacktx New Member

sorry i forgot to add that i also need to know out of those two birds which one bites harder. i have extremely sensitive skin and what some may consider a nibble from their pet could be a bloodly bite wound to me. also if i do get one or two birds should i clip their wings? what is the point of clipping a birds wings except to keep it from flying? thankz all! ^_^

~kyla

3. lil shant

lil shant New Member

from experience the fmela budige bites very hard but if bugged the parrotlet could bite hard and they both will make the same noise and the cage id say wide and tall would be great but wide is better

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi, Parrotlets are very noisey birds and there beaks are much stronger so would cause more damage.

Budgies are noisy but not as loud as the parrotlets.

So in my opinion i would go for a budgie..

The reason for wing clipping is to help with training as a bird with clipped wings is easier to catch since it can not fly to the height they would fully feathered.

Once clipped there feathers will regrow with there next molt by this time you should have a very hand tame relaxed bird...

When getting a bird it is always best to get a young bird 6months is the best time or younger this is the best time to start training them..

Please let us know which you do go for and good luck..

Mike

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

It's also much easier to tame one bird at a time. With one it will bond to you but with two they may bond to each other faster than to you. You can always get one now and get another down the road.

6. xgacktx

xgacktx New Member

well i've decided to get a budgie. thankz 4 all the help! ^_^ very very much appreciated! but if any of you have any advice on how to convince my parents to left me get one it would also be helpful. we live in the Fl. keys and evacutate alot and they said it would be to much work because hurrican season just started and we're supposed to get hit really bad this year. they don't want to deal with the extra work of having a bird to take care of if our house gets damaged or destroyed not to mention all the extra work for the evacutates. any suggestions on how to convince them?

7. Zeppy`s mom

Zeppy`s mom New Member

Get both (if you can). They are both beautiful! :lol: