1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Building Muscle and toning

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Samsintentions, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Ok. I've been thinking of some ideas to help build a bit more muscle on Byeboer, he's still a growing dog and i don't want to comporomise his growth or health in any way.

He goes for a mile jog with me every other day and i've let him pull around a chain a few times.

We also play tug and he's working pretty hard on obediance right now. I do feed a suppliment called NuVet Plus, Its awsome and has shown alot of improvement already.

Basically I think he's getting bored, Any ideas oh what we can do to add a bit more musle and tone?? Something safe, yet fun for him at the same time.

2. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I guess it just really depends on the dogs personallity, for whats fun. But I do a number of things for conditioning.

There are several different things......

Obviously tug/springpole like you said

Running always helps. But 1 mile every other day is not much. Daily miles.

Treadmill running is also a great way.

Swimming is also great because its easier on the dog unlike running it doesn't put pressure on the joints.

Weight pull is another method, drag weight with window weights and weight pull sled.

Everyday play also helps keep them in shape, just running and playing, chasing balls, ect.

3. Samsintentions

he's not much for the spring pole. really doesn't care for it.and he only tuggs with me. and he might occasionally pick up on the rope if the other dogs are tuggin. but not for long.
    He's more intrested in being by my side, or patroling the property... doing what he's "supposed" to do!

I run every other day...its hard on my knee if i do it every day.... treadmill doesn't sound bad. I've got one, i wonder ifhe'll run on it.... that would be funn to video!!!

4. Sara

Sara New Member

Swimming is my favorite. It really builds good muscle around joints to help keep them strong without causing percussion which can harm them. If he likes patrolling I'd figue out something where he can reall move with ya. I know you don't care much for Mr. Ceasar Milan but when he takes his dogs on their daily miles long mountain hike they're, in all essence, migrating and Boerboels are really meant to "migrate" daily with their masters moving cows and whatnot. If runnign is hard on your joints you could work up a bike or scooter to where he can power it while you steer so you can just go along for the ride...or you could try carting. There's lots of methods that would be easy on you and give him the exercise he needs (or all of them for that matter.

Look up dogpowered scooter and you can look up skijor or bikejor and it'll show you some ideas. Dog scooter search will also bring up where they hook dogs into surrey looking things, reins and all. It'd be right up your alley and if the dogs are well trained in obedience teaching commands for turnign and whatnot would be easy. I think you could really have a ball without hurting yourself and no doubt your Boels would love the activity.

if you do this, PICTURES are absolutely required and maybe video.

Sara

5. Samsintentions

Ya know, you just gave me the greatest idea!!! I have a small four wheeler that would perfect, or even better, I still have my miniture horse cart that would hook right up to him!!! OMG... if I get killed its sooo your fault. LOLOLOL.

Video is definately a must!!!

6. rowdiebrindlepit

rowdiebrindlepit New Member

I know with rowdie i found that the heavier the chain the better the results were...i dont know were you live but in some states treadmills are illegal because the say it promotes dog fighting....i used to use the same supliment you said you used and it did alot for his coat and helped him build muscle faster. but the chain and tug of war are about the only things i have tried, and even though rowdie is a big softie and dosent even bark at strangers he is still very scary looking if you didnt know him just because he is all muscle..and by the way whay is spring pole, is that just making the dog jump or what?

7. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

If they have to jump for the springpole depends on the height it is set at. Here is some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I will post more

8. Samsintentions

here's some of mickey doing his spring pole action. I'll upload a video too!
    Its soo cool watching him, he can hang and jiggle and wiggle on that thng all day long...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

What for some reason those didn't work, here is again. I can't find any of my good ones though, will have to dig them up.

Here are the 2 of val
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is Santana
    [​IMG]
    When you can't find a springpole she says substitute!

10. Samsintentions

Those are great!!!
    I see you have no problems with low limbs either!! LOL Mickey takes care of that around the house. LOL

Here's a short video clip of him. Its cold outside and he was eating leaves just before doing the pole, hince why he coughs a bit.... He's wierd...

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=2nm16hy

11. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Nope, no problem at all. Val was the same way, when she was pregnant that nut tried doing that. I swore she was going to hurt herself. I had to keep her hyper self from doing much of anything.

That is a pretty cool video. Mickey looks like he is having loads of fun.

Well gotta go feed the bulls.

12. Samsintentions

he is nuts. If he gets bored, its BAD news... he'll eat leaves, tear them apart into tiny shreads... if theres no leaves, don't worry!!! He'll re arange the grass for ya!!!

We can't leave toys with him, because he's sooo distructive, but man. he's nuts.

Keeping Vader and Precious quiet is hard, their both SOOO playful...

13. Samsintentions

Ok you guys. We've had a bad ice storm down here. We got like 7inches of rain then the other night it all froze!!!

Me being as crazy as I am. Had this GREAT idea. So i put Boe's harness on (his normal one, his weight pull harness was too small) so I modified it a bit, and put his halti on for some control, slipped on my roller blades and WEEEEEEEEEE across the frozen puddles in the yard. LOL I tried for the concrete, and i think the sound of the rollers scared him, and he took off!!! Dragging me behind him on my butt!

But it was SOOO fun. Soo, a little desensitizing in the sound of the rollers on pavement, and I think he's gonna be great!!!

Oh and me investing in a helmet and knee/elbow pads and a big one for my butt!

14. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

If you drag window weights or chain it works pretty good, but a sled also works out nice.

We plan to get another treadmill next month so I can work 2 dogs at it a time, which will be nice. Sometimes I work up to 8 dogs at a time, so doubling up would be awesome.

So you liked the Peak Performance 2? There are a good line of products out there. We have used the K9 Go Dog during shows for stress/dehydration as some are 18hrs travel and it works great along with the BARF food. The PP2 will be nice for some of the non stop players in keeping their weight on and building more muscle and nice for the shows dogs muscle tone. Have you ever tried the K9 Super Fuel? We are considering this for the working dogs and conditioning. Sounds like it would work very well. Do you have any pics of Rowdie?

15. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Sam sounds like you had a lot of fun. I used to do that a lot, with my Boxer or Venom and tried a few others with it. Great fun. But never did it in the ice like that.

16. Sara

Sara New Member

What do you do in the winters with one treadmill to work more than one dog at a time??? I've been rackin' my brain on getting my guys out and doing something other than rampageing the house or trying to play outside... The other day I caught Bella TRYING to have a ball with a rope toy outside she picked it up...shook it a bit and dropped the thing to shiver awhile...then repeated the process.... Once inside though she tears down the hall and back again...it's hysterical but then Monty get's going and dauby tries to join in....wreck in progress.

You can shoot me an email or let me know what all you do through winter (if anything) with the pooches....

Sam, I should find the link to the website about carting and get you pics of the dogs...reins and all... I might if I have time later.

Sara

17. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Sent ya an email

18. Samsintentions

Know anywhere I can get a good qualityweight pull harness? Would have to be custom to fit Byeboer.

I contacted the people at Harnesses by Carol, never got a responce.

The one i ordered was too small, sent it back and now their telling me they don't ahve any to fit him. So i'd hae to have someone that can customize one.

Thanks. Also gotta be IWPA approved. I think with the splitter bar in the back.

19. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

20. Sara

Sara New Member

I saw those and thought about getting one for Bella, her prices are really reasonable to many out there.

Sam you can go to IWPA website and get some links and whatnot.

Definately wouldn't have a dog pulling weight for any period without a real weight pull harness or possibly a racing/sled harness. The other types out there just aren't built for it. FYI for the rest of those checking this thread out. Most dogs really dig Weight pulling. I had a couple who didn't like it but usually once they figure out what you're asking them to do they really like it. Bella so far hasn't had any issues with her harness or dragging noise behind...might as well have nothing there at all.

sara