1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Buterfly Fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 3_second_memory, Jul 14, 2004.

1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

Hiya all,

My boyfriend has a facination on Buterfly fish.

He has seen pics of them.

Could you tell me any info on them?

we know nothing about them.

thank you.

amy. x

2. tina1

tina1 New Member

Like an african butterfly? The ugly brown things? All I know is that they're aggressive and will eat pretty much anything that fits inside their mouths. Also, supposedly they won't eat anything but live food.... so ew!

3. 3_second_memory

they are brown yes, and my boyfriend is now telling me he heard they eat anytihng. hehe.

Do they grow big?

single species tank then yeah?

4. tina1

tina1 New Member

5. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

wow thats a weird, yet cool fish!

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

The African Butterflyfish is common to many lakes across Africa and is an interesting fish. It spends most of its time hanging at the surface of the water, waiting for prey. The body is dark brown to black and is speckled with lighter colorations. The fins resemble the wings of a bird, giving this fish a look like no other. It does remain relatively small, but caution needs to be exercised, as this fish will swallow anything it can fit into its mouth.

The ideal set-up for the African Butterfly is an aquarium of at least 30 gallons with plenty of plants that reach near the surface that this fish can use for cover. They can handle a wide range of temperatures up into the mid 80's. These fish can jump out of the water, and can even glide short distances. It is therefore very important to have a tight fitting top on the aquarium to stop the fish from jumping out.

In order to breed the African Butterfly, lower the water in the aquarium to just a few inches for a few weeks. When refilling the aquarium, use soft acidic water. The male will then climb on top of the female at the water's surface. After about a day, the eggs will turn dark and will float to the surface. Remove these eggs to a separate aquarium with similar water conditions. The eggs will hatch in approximately two days and the fry demand the smallest live foods, such as baby brine shrimp and daphnia.

Feed the African Butterfly a steady diet of small fish, brine shrimp, insects and suitable freeze-dried foods.

Ideal tanks mates include: Similar sized "Oddball fish" (miscellaneous fish), Plecos, and larger scavenger Catfish.

taken From ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... CatId=1593 )

7. OneWolvesDream

i want one! lol.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

One of the LFS's here got some in a while back and every time I go in there she tries to sell me one (in a joking manner). They are really cool looking fish and if I had room, I'd get one.

-Chelle

9. OneWolvesDream

me to, but my zebra danios mean to much to me. lol.

10. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Are they good community fish?

11. OneWolvesDream

i think it said something about it being agressive. well to top dwellers atleast, the middle and bottom ones are not bothered. I wonder how true that really is.

12. 3_second_memory

thank you for all your info ill forward it on to him. :)

13. OneWolvesDream

lol, if you get it and decide you dont want it you could always send it to me! lol. jk.