1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Calling All Boerboel Experts

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by MyPetTherapyDog, Jan 20, 2008.

1. MyPetTherapyDog

MyPetTherapyDog New Member

Hi Everyone:

I am posting a question for Sarah, Sam & True hoping to get a few of my questions answered.

As most of you know, I am a dog trainer.

I was lucky enough to get my very first Boerboel pup to train recently.
    Its a baby boy boerboel and he is 4 months old.

Seeing as I have never met a boerboel before I am posting some questions about the dogs behavior.

I am not sure if what I see is breed standard or not because I have never met one. I'm thinking it isn't. But I don't know so I am asking people with experience.
    Here is what the dog is doing.
    He gets very upset when you touch his collar. I mean very very upset.
    We have been working on desensitizing him and he is doing better.
    I am told he has tried to bit at a man who was trying to pet him. The man was a good friend of the owner.

Today I was working with him and his owner and we were working on some steps for the CGC and when I gently went to pet his body, he tried to bite at me.

We regrouped and then repeated the process again and he tried to bite at me again.

I am also told he tried to bite another trainer before I was hired.

He does seem a bit fearful when he first meets you but then warms up until you try to touch his body. He likes to play and doesn't seem to mind being in the yard with you or if you are in his house. I don't know if its fear or "breed Standard" ~~~~ that he should be leary of new people.

I was under the impression though that if the owner allows the people in and introduces them properly, the dog should be ok with strangers. Is this correct?

I don't think his issues are pain either because he doesn't act that way with the family. Also, he just came from the vets and he was fine with the vet touching him for exam and he didn't try to bite the vet.

The family adores the little guy and treats him very well.

He is a very smart dog and learns quickly.

Can any of you give me some insite on what a typical dog of this breed is like at age 4 months.

Is this behavior normal for this breed?????

What are these dogs like as young pups?

I know all of you have experience and can guide me in the right direction so I can guide the owners better.

I will also add that I my training methods especially for puppies are positive based re-inforcement.

The pup does seem to really like me and he enjoys training too. So I found it odd that he tried to bite at me.

Thanks,