1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Can a yorkie be a family pet?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by EmmesMom, Apr 22, 2004.

1. EmmesMom

EmmesMom New Member

My six yr old dd wants a yorkie real bad, but I read where they(yorkies) do not like younger kids. Now my dd is NOT your typical 6yr old!! She has been taking care of her "mutt" since she was 3 yes that is right 3. She feeds her, brushes her and LOVES her very much. This dog would be a family pet so I do not want a dog that is not good with kids.

Should I bite the bullet and just buy a yorkie and raise it with my dd and that way the dog will be used to dd?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

My Yorkie Rocky will be 5 in June and I have 2 sisters that are 10 and 6 years old.

So I'd say yes, Yorkies can be family pets. The only thing I watch out for with Rocky is that he can become a little nippy when he gets excited. Otherwise he's pretty good with them but won't put up with any nonsense.

3. Rene

Rene New Member

Hello i agree with Aqueous I have 2 Yorkies they are 1 1/2 and 1 year 3 mos. and they also get nippy when excited but for the most part they love to play be brushed (well sebastain) we are working on jasmine my kids are 17 & 12 and they love them to death when my son (12) lays on the couch the yorkies snuggle with him it is so cute. I think they are GREAT family pets

Rene

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Sure, Yorkies can make great family pets! :y_the_best:

I would definitely be sure to find a reputable breeder to prevent getting an ill-bred Yorkie with an unsound temperament or other health problems that are often found in ill-bred Yorkies (and any other breed).

I would also take a look at the "breed review" information on yourpurebredpuppy.com and be sure you are comfortable with both the positives and negatives of the Yorkie breed.

Here's the link to the Yorkie section on the web site I just mentioned: http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/review ... riers.html

I don't mean to sound like I am undermining your research, I just so happen to see one too many Yorkies coming in the shelter b/c the owners didn't realize what the Yorkie temperament entailed!

That is definitely NOT to say that Yorkies are "bad" dogs, for they are not, as proven by the previous two posts. Like any breed really, Yorkies are not for everyone.

That's my take on the issue!

Have fun with your new pup!!! :D

5. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I absolutely agree MyBabyShihPoo, yorkies aren't for everyone and there are many yorkies that end up in shelters because of uninformed owners.

When I was volunteering at my local shelter we had 6 yorkies come in in one week. Most of the owners said that they were giving their dog up because they were too yappy, too destructive, or my favorite "He was so cute that I just had to buy him!". We even had a yorkie puppy come in with a broken leg because its owner's daughter dropped him and she didn't want to pay the vet bill ( that's how she said it "didn't want to" not "can't afford too".

Anyway, I'm done venting! The best advice I can give is to do a lot of research on yorkies and alternative breeds and decide which is the best for you and your family. Not every dog is perfect for every family.

:D Best of luck in whatever you decide!

6. EmmesMom

EmmesMom New Member

THANK YOU!!

I have not been to that website the one about the reviews so thanks for posting it!! On there I read this
    she put that on most of the toy breeds.
    I have a small poodle that my dd does just fine with. BUT my dh is saying no more and more to a yorkie because of the things he has read :roll: I have no clue what to go with now!!! Our friends had a yorkie that my MIL took care of for 4 months out of every yr and my dd just LOVED that dog and now she wants one of her own.

7. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Yes, it is stated b/c most toy breeds are on the delicate side due to their size and the potential risks (accidentally dropping, stepping on, sitting on, and so on).

I do believe some of the toy breeds are a little less fragile/delicate than Yorkies, and would probably do better with small children. You may also want to consider a "bigger toy breed" (if that makes sense to you) or maybe a medium-sized dog (i.e. the size of a Cocker Spaniel). :wink:

To find a breed that is suits your needs and circumstances, I would suggest that you take a look at dogbreedinfo.com and look at the breed selector portion of the site. It will ask you several questions, you select an answer to those questions, and from there it will list breeds that are generally compatible the information you provided.

Here's a direct link to that section of the site:
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

I hope that helps you out a bit! :D

8. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Yorkies can be good family pets ,so can any other .Alot is in how they are treated ,socialized by the breeder and continued by you ,However I would advise something else for a family with small children .