1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Can anyone answer a few Q's about Danes?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by AnnaBelle, Aug 30, 2005.

1. AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle New Member

Hey everyone, we bought a greatdane puppy not too long ago and I was wondering if anyone could tell me a little about the breed? My main thing I want to know is if they are aggressive, we have 3 other dogs besides the dane and she loves them all. And, a few weeks back we bought my grandmother a pomeranian puppy. Gracie (the greatdane) growled at her thru the fence. Since Gracie is still a puppy herself that surprised me. Our bloodhound, Annabelle just howled and wanted to play with the pomeranian puppy. Annabelle is very sweet and calm she has never shown any signs of aggression; not even towards strange dogs. But Gracie on the other hand can be very aggressive acting and so I am wondering if that is their nature? Thanks everyone.

2. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

As far as I know gd's are not aggressive. Every one I have seen has been very friendly/outgoing. How old is she? If she has had all her shots I would get her out to meet as many ppl/dogs as she can. Socialization is esp. important for the bigger dogs b/c once they get so big, it becomes so much more difficult to socialize them.

Why did you decide to get a gd, out of curiosity? Are you aware of their special feeding requirements? I mean, large breed feeding - stuff like that? You should watch how they are growing, and be careful with their hips, etc. They shouldn't get reg. puppy food.

3. AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle New Member

We decided to get a greatdane about 15 yrs ago but got a great pyrenees instead. Now we decided to get the GD because we have always loved them. I have read all about the breed and I just hadn't read anything that said they are aggressive so thats why I wondered??? Maybe she is just overly protective of the yard. She is 6 months old now.

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Any individual dog can show aggressive tendencies, even if the breed as a whole isn't noted for being aggressive.

Unfortunately we're starting to see aggression in breeds that have previously not been concidered to have aggression problems. Great Danes are one of them. It's really too bad, as any very large dog that becomes aggressive can cause a great deal of grief for their owners.

5. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I'd get her spayed now. She also needs to be getting super socialized. Both outside and at your house. Did you see how she reacted without the fence between them? Sometimes just the fence there creates issues. How does she react with other dogs outside the home?

6. Maisey

Maisey New Member