1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT TYPE OF CICHLID THIS IS?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by DUCKLE-BUM, Feb 15, 2005.

1. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

I bought this little fella from a LFS the other day (he was kept in awful conditions so I thought I'd rescue him) but I'm not sure what kind of cichlid it is. In this picture (if I've done it correctly) he is about 2" long.
    Can anybody help? I have visited lots of sites but can't seem to identify it!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/ ... LILGUY.jpg

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hard to tell due to the pic, but because the the blue forming around the head i would have to say a male peacock of some kind.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A better pic would help.

The general body shape does sort of resemble a peacock, but I'm also thinking it could be something like a green terror or an acara.

-Chelle

4. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Yeah, sorry about the picture, I've been trying to get a good pic of him/her but it's so quick! (and the camera on my phone is none to hot) :)
    I can tell you that it is normally much darker in colour (I had just completed a water change and didn't look too settled at the time!)

It's quite an odd fish really...almost dark convict in appearance with dark vertical stripes. The general colour is a light bluish, but when it's colour intensifies, there is a slight orange colouration between the dark stripes.

Finally, there are bright, reflective, green/blue spots on it's lower jaw and cheeks........hope this helps some :D

I have thought it might be an acara, but am looking for a definite.
    (v difficult to look after a fish properly if I don't know what it is! :D )

Many thanks!

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

not a green terror, look at the fins and the head....and as for the acara, i think the cichlid in questions looks more like a young african.

6. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

:y_the_best: :eek: :y_the_best: :eek:

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, that's why I think it's a GT/acara and not a peacock. The tail fin is rounded whereas most peacocks have more of a triangular shaped tail. The head shape also isn't quite right for a peacock. Plus the blue markings on the lower part of the head are a characteristic of some new world cichlids like GT's and acaras.

Duckle-Bum's fish:
    [​IMG]

Juvenile GT:
    [​IMG]

Aulonocara sp (not saying it's this species, this is just an example of the general body shape)
    [​IMG]

Juvenile blue acara:
    [​IMG]

-Chelle

8. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmm, good evidence there chelle..........guess all we need is a better picture to tell for sure.

9. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Thanks everyone. I will post some better pictures as soon as I can :)

10. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

two of the things thats makes me think DUCKLE-BUM's fish is an african is one the dark marking "flower" on the body......duckle's picture doesnt show it but the two SA cichlids posted by chelle did......also, when i had africans and they were stresses, they turned light gray like duckle's.........the SA cichlids i had would get darker and develop REALLY dark stripes all over the body.