1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Can I Get More Fish?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by caj1968, Jul 28, 2004.

1. caj1968

caj1968 New Member

I have a 46 gal. bow tank with a Penguin 330 filter. I have 2 Op Gouramis, 5 Platys, some Platy fry ( which are getting moved), 1 White Cloud, 1 Pleco and 7 Cardnial Tetras. Can I get more fish in this tank and if I can, what kind would you suggest? Keep in mind that I have "hard water".
    caj1968

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

ur probaly full i checked the adault sizes on all fish and its like 38 (38g) inches not including ur pleco. Is it a common Pleco i think they can get like a foot long

3. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i would say u can get more fish....tetras and platys are small in size and shape...

4. M_wm

M_wm New Member

platys arnt that small i had a female that was prolly 2.5 inches and neons grow about 1 inch i just think it look alot better if you tank isnt cramped

5. bloodpain

bloodpain New Member

I suggest you stay with that number of fishes.. Besides you didn't said which fish you're getting. Best of luck

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I'd say you're pretty much at capacity right now. Also, your white cloud is actually a coldwater fish and would prefer temps below 75*. And he's a schooling fish and would do best with a group of minnows.

-Chelle

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i agree i think you are full

8. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

like what everone else sid u are full

9. dude412

dude412 New Member

i think youd be good to get a small invertabrae on a different note i have been hear for while and at the ol forum to and i neer see anyone with anything but fish in there tanks they dont have cras frogs inverts nutting i think its sad but i think youd do fine with an african dwarf frog there small and good with fish and dont make noise or that much noise lol and there cheap best of luck

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, I have 2 ADF's in my community tank.

And I'm not sure how adf's would do with a pleco. Plus, like I said before, the tank is already maxed out for bioload.

-Chelle

11. Bl@cky

Bl@cky New Member

I like to keep fish from when they are small to there adult size, if you are the same i would say your full. Some people which i dont agree with ( my opinion) buy small fish once they get to big they get rid of them only so they can have more fish of diffrent kinds. You dont throw a puppy ou just cause it turns into a dog !!!! just something for newcomers to think about before getting in to fish

12. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Its not always like that blacky sometimes people cant house the fish anymore so they get smaller ones

13. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

wow i have finelly meet some one thats just like me

14. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Bl@cky, Some people do like I used to do. Purchase fish when they're juvenile and inexpensive and then sell them when they are large and worth considerably more so that they can purchase larger tanks and more fish. I also would breed fish, sell the young ones, and then after 2 or 3 spawnings sell the mated pair before they bred out. True mated pairs sell at a premium.

15. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I think bl@ky ment well but it got taken the wrong way, planning ahead of time can save you from buying an oscar and putting it in a 20 or 30 gallon tank but theirs also the exception for people who know how to take care of fish and know they will have a fit home when their sold or given away. Theirs also the type of person who will buy an oscar for lets say a 20 then get "rid of it" and again buy a small one which is irresponsable and sad, fish are pets which many dont take seriously.. Best of luck to you all!

16. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

Just a thought, alot of sites say how the platy is only about 2.5 inches though the one red wagtail platy i bought that was getting deformed in a 5 gal, she is about 3-3.5 inches long :? I have her in my 29 gal, i have had her a couple of months now and since i got her the deformation on her has gone away. whats with that, oh and with the question add some guppies or more undyed tetras.