1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Can I get My BUdgie Sick?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by drab911, Dec 9, 2004.

1. drab911

drab911 New Member

Right now.. I seem to have a cold/flu :( Even had to miss a couple hours or work yesterday... but I was wondering if all my sneezing etc could get my bird sick? and if it could can it be serious?

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I don't think they can. All of the times I've been sick this year my birds hav never caught anything.

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi its best when you have a cough or sneezes not to do it near the birds It is not known if birds can catch the human cold/flu virus some avian vets and breeders say yes others say no so i always say its wise to keep contact to a minimal until your better again as its always better to be safe than sorry.

If you need to put your hands in the cage you will have to make sure they are cleaned thoroughly before putting hands in this way if there is any germs on your hands you will not pass them to the birds.

Mike

4. drab911

drab911 New Member

Thanks guys... yeah I am pretty good at washing my hands quite often anyways... but ill keep my distance...
    shes squacking like crazy these last few days :)

5. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

She is getting used toher surroundings now and she is letting you know she has a voice.

Good luck with her

Mike

6. kem

kem New Member

Hey! I too am sick with the cold/flu and have been for over a week. Because I have had people tell me that Boots can get sick from my cold/flu I let him sleep in a different room than me for the first 3 days of my illness, as I was most contagious then. Now, a little over a week later, I still have a cough and stuffy nose, but he now is in the same room with me. So far it seems that nothing is wrong with him, but as birds don't always show signs of sickness, I don't really know much. I don't think anything is wrong with him, however. Good luck and I hope you get well soon. :0

7. drab911

drab911 New Member

Thanks a lot man... I am feeling about 95% percent now and my B day is tommorow so I am well JUST in time to Party whoo hoo... But you made a good point in saying you might not know whether your bird is sick or not but mine also seems A OK so hope you get well also and happy holidays!!
    Its better you get your sickness over with now then later haha

8. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi just to give you an insight into what to watch out for...

If your bird is sick first sign is usually sitting with all there feathers ruffled up so they just look like a ball of feathers.
    They will usually stop eating and drinking and there eyyes will be constantly drooping as if they are tired.

But again the first sign is the ruffled feathers..

Hope you both get well soon and happy birthday drab911 have a good one....

Happy holidays to everyone and there fur babies and feathered friends
    mike