1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Carnivorus Plecostomus taking over...

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Blau_the_cow, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

I have 2 tanks: 20 gallon (8 inch common pleco, strawberry tetra), and 33 gallon (2 4-inch orandas).

Several months ago, my plecostomus (who was 6 inches), looked a bit cramped, so I decided to move him into the 33, and hoped that he wouldnt go after the goldfish. Well, he did. He harrassed them and tried to suck on their sides, so I took him out. Ive added more plants since then, and I was hoping that maybe if I added a cave or something, he wouldnt go after them. I talked to the fish person at walmart, and she said that once he has the taste of fish, he'll always go after them.

Is this true?

How big must a pleco be to survive in a pond?

Could I keep him in my 20 gallon?

Will he start to go after my tetra?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Plecos are tropical fish and will not survive the winter in a pond (especially not in Canada). I suggest you take the pleco to the LFS or find someone else to take it because neither of your tanks are anywhere near large enoough for it.

-Chelle

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

yes that is true
    i would trade him in at a fish store or fish some that can house him with larger fish that won't take his crap

4. Trickster

Trickster New Member

yea, the pleco will get much bigger and no tank u got is big enough, and...... u might wana ask smarter people then wal-mart employees, they know squat, in the walmart i goto, they keep Black moor goldfish for show in 5 gal aquariums (Dumb thing cuz moors get big and neeed about 30g)

Find a store like Aquarium Services

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Im not to far from you. I might be interested in the pleco :lol:

6. Kirk

Kirk New Member

It does get quite hot in British Columbia in the summer though, but I still doubt it could live in pond. British Columbia has to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. I like the rain forest.

7. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Rain forests? lol where? It could live in a pond here in the summer but not in the winter

8. Kirk

Kirk New Member

Yeah, in Cathedral Grove. They are douglas furs. They arent the kind of rainforest you are thinking of, but they are still rainforests.

9. M_wm

M_wm New Member

oohhh Yah i guess a Canadian rain forest type thing theres some massive trees there, thats not to far from me

10. Pacuguy

Pacuguy New Member

take the pleco to your LFS and they will prolly give you store credit, or just let you exchange him for a smaller one, i had to do this several time when i only had smaller tanks and they kept getting mean and out growing the tanks.

11. Blau_the_cow

Blau_the_cow New Member

Okay. Thanks very much guys. I think thats what I'll have to try to do. (take him to the lfs, unles m_wn, you want him) Btw, I love Cathedral Grove :D

12. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Thanks for the offer but i acually just picked up a little common pleco :y_the_best:

13. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

hey matt how big is your tank now