1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

cat beds with catnip

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by pomlover, Feb 13, 2005.

1. pomlover

pomlover New Member

Does anyone know anything about the cat beds with catnip? My cat doesn't really have a bed of his own yet so I was thinking about getting him something. (He needs something to call his own.) He just loves catnip and goes nuts so I would think he would love his bed. The only bad thing is my Pom loves catnip too. LOL. I have never seen a dog go for the stuff, but he tries to get the cats mouse covered in it.

Just looking at the pros and cons about it if someone knows something about them.

2. nern

nern New Member

I did'nt know there were catnip cat beds...my dog (Natalie) tries to eat the catnip too when I give it to the cats. LOL.
    If you do find a bed for her maybe you can put it up on something where the dog would'nt bother it but the cat could still get to it?

3. luna

luna New Member

shadow is happy wiht a box that is padded with a pillow and a blanket when shes not sleeping wiht me.

4. lunaguy

lunaguy New Member

Having a catnip scent in the bed can be a good way to get a cat to use the bed for the first time or two, so in that respect it can be helpful. But if the bed is comfy enough, and is a more attractive option than his other sleeping areas, it won't be needed to get him to enjoy using it. Conversely, if he isn't a big fan of how the bed feels and works, no amount of catnip is going to get him to continue using it.

When choosing a bed, it's a good idea to think about the places that your cat usually chooses to sleep in, and then find a bed that seems to improve upon it. For instance, Luna likes to sleep curled up in semi-confined spaces, so we got her a little "igloo" type covered bed that really allows her to be cozy. She instantly took to it and it's now one of her main sleeping spaces. We had originally gotten her a regular uncovered type, and she wouldn't use it all. She considered the sofa a much more comfortable alternative, I guess.

As for catnip in general, I like to use it sparingly because it only has an effect on Luna once a day. I like to save it to give to her when she seems to need it most, like when she's in need of a little more fun late at night after playtime with me is over. Having something in the house that is constantly catnip-scented, I found, tended to completely eliminate her interest in her usual catnip toys (which I keep out of her reach until I choose to give them to her, for the same reason).

Just some thoughts, good luck with choosing a bed!

5. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I'd think catnip in a bed would be counterproductive. Beds are for sleeping. Catnip is a stimulant. Of course, if you want the bed to be used as a trampoline.....

We used to have wild catnip growing on the farm. I'd go out to fix a fence, and stand in the stuff for several hours. When I can back inside, the cats would go gaagaa over my shoes, LOL. I had to change shoes pretty fast, or trip over spinning, jumping, rolling cats.