1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

cat food

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by kyles101, Jul 27, 2004.

1. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

well after much searching and hounding companies who refuse to answer emails the best food i can get my hands on here is royal canin. a pet food delivery place just dropped it off then and pheobe is scoffing it down like its bbq chicken or something. i wonder if this will help pepe allergies and his smelly poop [got sensible 33]. fortunately this delivery service is well priced and has a loyalty program. hip horay!

i should stop getting excited over pet food delivery :qm4:

2. vene

vene New Member

That's great! I can't get any of my kitties to chow down Royal Canin. I hope Pepe gets well with this food. :qm2:

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Kyles. I know it's been so hard for you to find good cat food. Royal Canin isn't that great (ingredient list below). The first ingredient is chicken meal. Isn't there any cat food you can find that has the first ingredient as some kind of meat(s) and doesn't have any corn/fillers/ in it?

Chicken meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), chicken, corn gluten meal, rice flour, corn flour, beet pulp, chicken flavor, fish oil, dried egg products, powdered cellulose, sodium bisulfate, potassium chloride, brewers yeast, chicory extract, DL-methionine, choline chloride, L-lysine, natural antioxidant, taurine, iron proteinate, vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese oxide, calcium pantothenate, manganese proteinate, niacin supplement, copper sulfate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, copper proteinate, calcium iodate, folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement.

4. vene

vene New Member

Hey Chessmind. How are Romeo and Juliet doing and do you have new pics of them? My cats refuse to eat Wellness. They are now addicted to Solid Gold Katz N Flocken. The main ingredient is lamb meal and the second is fish. This can't be good either. Do you or anyone else think I should starve them a bit and leave only Wellness food out?

5. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

unfortunately its the best here chessmind :cry: till this day is till cant get around my head the fact that we dont stock any decent foods yet we have such a high pet owning rate! its either crud like eukanuba or supermarket brands with mystery meat and unclear labelling.

either way its good i dont have to go round the city to get food now.

6. nern

nern New Member

My cats loved the Royal Canin when I tried it. The first 3 ingredients in the RC special 33 are good ones. This formula seems to have better ingredients than some of their other formulas. Its nice that you can have it delivered. :wink:

Solid Gold is a good brand IMO. I have used it in the past and my cats liked it and did pretty well on it. Have you tried getting them to eat the Wellness by very gradually mixing little bits in with their regular food? It took me about 3wks of very gradually mixing the new food with the old to get mine to accept the new food the first time I switched brands. At first they were picking around it but they did eventually start eating it. Wellness is a good brand but it is'nt the only good brand. If you can't get your cats to eat it maybe you can find another good brand that they like.
    My guys seem to like the Wellness although I don't think some of them are very fond of the small round shape of it. Hoggle has even gained a little weight since I've been using it.
    :eek:

7. rcrgal31

rcrgal31 New Member

my older cat Jazz wont eat anything but purina cat chow and wiskers pouches..and the kittens eat science diet and nine lives..i wish i could get them to eat more nutritionally..but come on ..we all luv our junk food..lol

8. fleafly

fleafly New Member

Do you have feed stores there that sell food for livestock? I live in a rural area and was able to find a couple of good brands at a local feed store. The one my cats like is Exclusive. It is their favorite food out of all the ones I have tried.

9. vene

vene New Member

Nern, our cats did well originally when I switched them from Iams to Wellness. As soon as I started giving them different brands to choose from, they preferred the Solid Gold over anything else. Mixing foods do help but I can notice the definite difference in preference. Is lamb supposed to be good for cats? I mean they don't hunt sheep, or cows for that matter? Here's what about.com rated their top 10 cat preferred premium foods and my cats hate Innova- won't even touch it:

http://cats.about.com/cs/nutrition/tp/premdrycatfood.htm?terms=premium+cat+food

10. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Don't be sad, Kyles. I think the food you found will be just fine. I'm just not a big fan of chicken meal as the first ingredient and fillers like corn, but that doesn't mean that it's bad food. I'm really fussy with pet foods, but that doesn't make me an expert on the topic. I just have this belief about what the ingredients should be like on the label. Basically, in my opinion it should be as close to how it would be if they had to hunt for themselves. But again that's just my opinion.

A few times here I've talked about the cat I had since I was a kid. She lived for 20.5 years. She was such a wonderful cat. Anyway, my parents fed her 9 Lives and Fancy feast (this food is actually is pretty good) and all kinds of different store brand foods. She was as healthy as can be. Having healthy pets isn't just about good food. So much more goes into it. Such as a loving home, good vet care and of course genetics always plays a vital role in it. So, my point is that I think you're doing a great job with all of your fur animals, Kyles. You can tell they are all very loved. That's what's most important. I just hope this new food will help Pepe with his allergies (assuming it's food related). Pepe is so cool! I think he's so funny and seems so smart! :mrgreen:

Hi Vene. Romeo and Juliet are doing great. Thanks for asking. I'll get some new pics over the weekend. I had a contractor come and he's going to build the outdoor enclosure for me, but he has to finish a few other jobs first. You know I'll be posting loads of pics when that's done. As for feeding your cats Wellness, it's up to you. If you really want them to eat it, you can just feed them that, but you may have some cats who will be fasting for a while until they realize that Wellness is all they get. Eventually they will come around and eat it. However, if they like the other food and it's pretty good, then just stick to that.

(It took me forever to type this, as Juliet wanted to play fetch with her toy mouse with me the entire time. She brings me her toy mouse, drops it in my lap, I throw it and it goes on like this until she gets sleepy.)

11. nern

nern New Member

Lamb is fine for cats, it serves the same purpose as chicken, turkey or any other meat protein....its a source of essential amino acids. I think its safe to say that a majority of the ingredients in pet foods would not be hunted or consumed by cats in the wild but even so these ingredients still do provide essential nutrients.
    There are a few other brands of cat food that contain lamb including Nutro, Natural Balance, Eagle Pack, Felidae & Nature's Variety.
    If you're still uncomfortable with feeding the Solid Gold maybe you can get them to eat Wellness by just leaving it out for them with no other choices like you originally said. If they were eating it fine before maybe it won't be a problem once the Solid Gold is unavailable to them.
    Good luck with whatever you decide on.
    :wink:

Mine like Innova but I think that there are other brands that they would pick over it if given a choice. Chicken Soup is probably their favorite out of the brands I have tried so far but Innova is still my favorite for them. :y_the_best:

12. vene

vene New Member

Thanks Nern! :qm1: I'm going to continue to feed them a variety of foods because it's fun for me to go shopping for them! I just want them to have the very best, whatever that means? If variety is good for humans, then it must be good for cats as well. Although I'd still sneak some Wellness in their diet because they seem to be healthier on it especially Monty. I can tell his coat looks better, and he sheds less.

Chessmind-
    I can't wait to see your furbabies' new pics!:m7: And I can relate about your contractor issues. They are always doing other projects. I had a very reliable guy that does lots of odds and ends for our house. Recently we asked him to put in a patio for us and he'd said he'll do it end of April or early May. It's now July and when we called him, he apologized and said he has a new business now (camping rentals on Fort Lake geared for kids). Thank goodness our lawncutter can also do patios because he owns a landscape company. I hope to have a patio before Sept. We shall see. And I'm looking forward to seeing your outdoor cat enclosure. All my cats would envy your lot especially Milo! :m5:

13. nern

nern New Member

Good idea. Thats what I do too....I switch brands every 3 - 5 months for variety and to keep them from becoming addicted to a single brand. It seems to work out well here. :D

14. lynnhaz

lynnhaz New Member

max used to eat royal canine and totally loved it until i wanted to get him off corn altogether (because of all the diarrhea). so he eats chicken soup for kittens. he loves it!!! :m33:

and he has really thrived on it. since....he only weighed 2 lbs at three months of age. :shock:

NOW!!! he is a whopping 7 lbs!!!!!

chessmind....i was thinking of you yesterday...i saw some pictures here in phx of a bengal cattery...and she had kind of a cool enclosure. i would love to see the kitties too!!!! :eek:

kyles...dont worry...if that is all you can get...it is still considered a "premium food" and i dont think they do any animal testing like iams, and science diet.... :wink: