1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cat grass

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by nern, Apr 26, 2004.

1. nern

nern New Member

Has anyone ever tried giving their cats "cat grass"? I saw the kind that you can grow in your home and thought mine might enjoy it. Chieve was recently very interested in my tulip plant and thats what made me think of the cat grass.

2. footsie

footsie New Member

I've come very close to buying some and never have.

I try so hard to stop Footsie from eating my plants, I don't want to send mixxed messages by encraging him to eat the grass and nothing else. But then again it might save my plants (which were my babies before I got Footsie and now they're like neices and nefews).

If anyone has tried this I'm eagerly awaiting a review.

3. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

My cats enjoyed it. However, it didn't last too long. Sure, it can grow - but that's if the cats don't practically inhale it! My kitties munched on it until it was down to the nub. After that, it wouldn't grow back.

But, it was worth it while it lasted. The cats really did seem to enjoy it. But, I bet it's one of those things where it depends on your cat's personal taste. My cats just happened to like it.

4. halaroo

halaroo New Member

One of my cats loves it. I have to put it out of reach or else she'll devour it entirely. I cut off a few pieces at a time and give them to her as a treat. My other cat doesn't really care for it though.

5. vene

vene New Member

We've been using cat grass for 2 months now. We bought them at Petsmart. All our 4 cats love them. It really saves our plants. You can also grow your own. Just buy the seeds and potting soil. They will sprout in 3 days. The negative is that sometimes Milo and Rene will eat too much grass and puke up food with green liquid. But this doesn't happen very often. Also if they eat the entire stalk, their poop comes out in segments with grass connecting the pieces. It's gross. And if that poop gets stuck in their butt, they will wipe their derriere on your floor. Be forewarned. This only happened once and it's no worse than cleaning up my 17 month old's poop. :mrgreen:

6. nern

nern New Member

LOL. Thanks for the warnings.

If I do decide to try it I'll be sure to limit the amount they each eat. :wink:

7. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Nern. I think you should run to the shop and get loads of it! LOL. I just think grass is something all cats should have access to, if they want it. I have a lot of grass for Handsome in the garden, but I also have that cat grass for him inside. The one I get is organic (you can find these at most large health food stores). He loves it. I also have fresh organic catnip growing in posts (and planted in the yard/garden). He really likes those too. Get one and see how it goes. You will have to replace that type of grass as it does not last forever. I hope you take some pics( if you decide to get some) of your kitties munching away on it. :wink:

8. footsie

footsie New Member

nern, did you get some cat grass?

I just bought some last night. I can't wait to get to give it to footsie. I also just recently got my own plot in the community garden at my work. I picked up some catnip seeds and will grow that for him too.

9. nern

nern New Member

No I have'nt gotten any yet. With Rhiannon's surgery coming up I've been trying not do any unneccessary spending. I will get some after her surgery is taken care of. I'm sure my cats will love it....at least the majority of them will. :wink:

10. Diane

Diane New Member

Wheat Grass - for my husband me or for our kitties?

I was in a Safeway store recently and saw that they were selling pots of wheat grass. I have always heard how nutritious this is so I picked up a pot which I thought I'd cut up, small, into a salad (so my husband wouldn't notice!). By the time I got home, I was thinking more in terms of our kitties and they won!

Wow - I placed that grass down by their water dish and in they zoomed! It didn't last long and now I get it for an occasional treat. I sprinkle a little water on top first and they seem to like that. I also take it away before they've finished it off and put it outside in the sun so that maybe it will grow a little more.

Tiger, our three-year old just about buries his whole head in the grass, turns his head sideways, and chews across, almost as if his mouth were a set of hedge-clippers! You should see him. Foster (16 years old) is more methodical but seems to enjoy it, too. It's got to be good for them, I would think.

11. dolly

dolly New Member

My kitties *love* cat grass. I have to hide it from them and ration the amount that they eat or else they will gorge themselves and Bonnie inevitably barfs some back up. :-&