1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

cat likes to stare....

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by FMgurl43, Apr 10, 2004.

1. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

hi everyone just have a quick ? my cat simba u all probably know him by now i post alot bout him anyways 4 the past like maybe 4 days he will sit at the end of my bed across the room etc... and just stare at me i caught him doingit the first night and when i looked at him and then looked away the next thing i new he was charging at me head and attacked me head he was playing but it hurt really really bad.... then thenext night he was doing it i was staring at him back and he started to chatter kinda like when they r watching at the bird outside the window type thing and i just sat and stared at him till he charged after me i got up and moved and he ran after me till he caught my head again... then the past 2 nights when he sits and stares ive stared at him back and eventually he will get up and walk away but we will have a starting contest 4 no less then 20 min.... the whole time hes schaking his tail.... he has always loved to groom my hair and many of times gotten carried away but.... hes very dominate and i think he thinks hes dominate over me thats why hes doing thsi he does it to all the cats and now ME!!! its kinda funny when he staresme down but when he attacks its hurts!!!but then again they way he will look at u its kinda spooky...lol when he gets ready to chage he willput his ears back start the chattering swing the tail and wiggle his butt and then u know to haul butt.... thsi is a very good pix of one of his stareing /attack modes... its exactly what he looks like when he stares at me like hes outta it or something..... does anyone elses cat do this??????

http://shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3710f8b45a6

http://shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b3710ff4c4e9

2. nern

nern New Member

LOL. All of mine do this but not usually to me.....I often see them playing with each other this way and they do this when I play with them with their toys. It seems to be their natural predatory behavior. As long as they're not hunting me.....I find this behavior quite entertaining to watch. :wink:

3. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

i know what u mean.. its funny to watch all of my cats do thsi when they r playing but not when simba does he hurts!! he even hurts the other cats well they dont like it hes neevr drawn blood or anything.... but its kinda funny the way he will chase me down to get to my hair... and if i have it up in a pony tailhe will pull it out sooo i try to keep it down as much as possible and he loves wet hair he goes nutts over it....

4. footsie

footsie New Member

My cat does that to me all the time.

5. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

I think you should break out your laser pointer or other toys when he starts the 'stare down'. Perhaps he is just bored and wants to play. It's worth a try.

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi again. I found this great site about cat aggression. I posted it for another member that was having some trouble with her two cats. You should check it out. Scroll down at this site to the part that says 'Aggression.' It talks about cats being aggressive to people and solutions to this problem.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... avior.html

7. winnie

winnie New Member

mine do that when playing with eachother...he probley wants to play with you....getting another cat really helps...they play with eachother and tire themselves out...its great :)

8. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

thanks chessmind ill check that out.... we already have 5 cats all together including mr simba soooo he has plenty of cats to play w/ and garfeild is his best buddy they play non stop but he dont ever get enough of playing he only does thsi to me when garfeilds sleeping or is busy playing w/ something else.... simba has his fav. ball i bought him from petsmart that makes noise when u roll it and he will play w/ that thing 4ever but when he gets tired of that he chases me down.....he just dont get enough!!!!lol

9. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

My husband and one of my cays do the same thing. They stair in tell one gets tired. Sometimes the cat will jump towards him but she has never jumped towards his head or anything. They have this strange bond like that (she only does this with him- My kids and I are not included in this game). I found this cat when she was about 10 days old, she has weard things she likes to do with each of us.

BUT if it hurts maybe you should in a stern soft voice NOT YELLING!! say no when you notice the cat is going to pounce. My cat (who is mama's girl) will try to get away with getting on my big tall armor which she knows is a no no- if she does she always knocks things down and scratches it). So If I notice her trying I will softly say "no no Indianna" and she meows and will not try. BUT I NEVER YELL AT HER- THERE IS NOT A NEED TO YELL.

I am not an expert but this has worked for me so it is worth a try right.

GOOD LUCK AND IF YOU TRY LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS. IT MAY TAKE A FEW TIMES.

YOUR CATS PROBIBLY WANT TO PLAY TRY TO FING SOMETHING FUN FOR HIM TO DO.

10. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

lol.... yea ive tried the frim voice telling simba no but w/ simba its one ear and out the other he will look at u and flick his tail and go back to doing whatveer he was doing... which recently its been getting into my guinea pigs cage and attacking my head... thats good advise though i do it w/ my other 4 and they listen really well when i do it but simba just dont care....when he went into his staring mode last night when he went to attack i threw his fav. ball at him and he ran and played w/ it 4 a few min and then caught me off guard and climbed up the back of the couch and attacked my hair so i pulled him off and put him on the floor(its like trying to get a sucker from a baby) and he came right back w/ ears back and attacked my feet then i pushed him away and walked into the kitchen the whole time hes smaking at the back of my legs and when i stoped he had all 4 paws on one of my legs biting me....then he seen garfeild playing w/ his ball and he went 4 his ball... i know all he wants to do is play but man he gets rough.... then today we all got out of our pool and simba came up and was licking our legs and feet and if we didnt let him all claws were holding us still till he got done doig what he wanted.... he has a thing w/ not only hair but he gets all lovey dovey when u get out of the shower etc... when urs tsill wet he will rub all over ur legs and lick u etc....hes crazy but i love my simba....lol

11. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

wow he is just full of engery HUH!!!! My cat Lucky also likes to lick you when you get out of the shower or bath, or sometimes even when you are just sitting down. (She is my strange one-she thinks she is a dog-well at least she acts like one-any we do not even have a dog).

Cats are funny. Some just do what they want when they want. Both of my cats can be like that when they want from time to time. It is a cat thing I guess. I tell you my prevous cats had more respect :)lol: HA HA). Just kidding

I love my cats. I hope yours clams down soon. Maybe it will not last to long. Just try to not pay attention to him when he does this. Maybe then he will try to get attention another way.

I guess you will have to play trial and error on this one.

If I think of anything else I will post it. But for now GOOD LUCK!
    Keep us posted.

12. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Cats love anything minty smelling. So if any of your shampoos, soaps/lotions and whatever else in is your shower/bath that has any minty smell to it, get rid of it. Not because it's bad for you or your cat, but because they will want to attack/smell/play with your hair or anything else that smells minty. It almost affects them like catnip. It's very strange. If you don't have anything minty then just don't make it worse by buying minty things. Lol.

13. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

p.s. Forgot to add about him licking your legs after the pool. Some cats also go nutty for bleach/chlorine products (even though it is bad for them). So if the pool is chlorinated then he may want to lick your legs. You may want to shower right after or put on some pants.

14. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

i didnt know that bout minty things..... hummm the only thing i can think of is i use this herbal type shampoo that kinda smells a lil minty.... guess ill go back w/ my old brand....thanks 4 the info though thats very interesting....

15. kristisanchez

kristisanchez New Member

The minty thing is very Interesting. But my cat is just weard. She tried to lick paper after you have written on it (BAD HABBIT-BUT WE ALWAYS STOP HER!). She grawls when someone rings the door bell. The only time she mews is when she wants you to give her some of your food, whick is everytime we eat. She eats chili, tortillas, and anything else we eat for dinner. She also sits on demand when you tell her to so you will giver her food (she perefers the spanash version of sit though :? ). We sometimes call her catdog when we talk about her to others.

If you could only see her she acts like a dog.