1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cat peeing problem, will this help or make it worse?

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Cassie, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

Booger is a rather large cat (I think she's normal sized but several people have seen her for the first time and said "WOW! That's a BIG cat!"). Anyway, I digress...She has a litter box and it's a large one. She is great about using her litterbox...

But...

Sometimes she'll get in the box, dig around to find a good spot, turn around and begin to pee. And as she pee's she'll slowly lift her butt and the stream eventually hits the wall above the side of the box. Needless to say, it gets gross. I've been placing absorbing litter under her box and cleaning it everyday. Day after day to battle the problem.

Yesterday hubby and I bought her an enclosed litter box. It's deeper, taller and has a lid with an open door that she will have to walk in. I'm wondering how well she will take to the change. Her old open large box is something that she's been using for 4+ years.

We've placed the new covered box on the floor in the kitchen (no litter in it) and she's enjoyed going in it to play and explore. In a couple of days I'm going to fill it with litter and replace her old box with it.

Do you think she'll take to it? I'm worried.

2. vene

vene New Member

Give her a couple of days to get used to the new litter box, if not, you can always line the 2 sides of the old litter box with a see through plexi glass. We got those for the boys who would overshoot their open litter box. The plexi glass (found at Lowe's or Home Depot) is very inexpensive and serves its purpose well.

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

Dixie Chick (a portly lady herself) doesn't like covered litterboxes and in spite of her large box now and then she'll pee over the edge.
    I put puppy weewee pads on the floor around the box. She doesn't get the wall and I know people who will put the peel and stick tiles on the wall surrounding their litterboxes to help.
    The plexiglass idea is good too

4. Lovemykitties!

Lovemykitties! New Member

We had the same problem with Aries - he is just a big cat and sometimes he would miss the litterbox. He had been using a uncovered catpan for 7 years and I was afraid he would not take to the new one. We changed over to a covered litterpan (AKA : The DeathStar) and he seemed to have no problem with it...

...BUT here is a tip that helped us:
    Remove the door flap off the enclosed catpan for the first week or two. Sometimes after having an open catpan for so long, they can be a bit intimidated by pushing a flap open if they have not used it before.

Now he has been using the enclosed catpan for 3 years and he loves it. He loves the privacy and we love that it helps contain some of the oder (even if you clean a cat pan out everyday, my guys get lazy and don’t cover their business very well!). Anyway, I hope that helps and good luck! :)

5. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

The only thing I thought of was maybe to put the litter in it right away so she knows it's for going potty and not for playing in. It probably wouldn't matter, though. Maybe it is better to let her get used to it first. See what a big help I am. I'm never good at making up my mind. :mrgreen:

Let us know how she is doing with it.

6. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I would say to go ahead and start with the new litter box but my suggestion would be to put the litter that they have been using in it to start off with. Meaning don't put fresh litter in so that he can smell the familiar smells. Harley is a big boy and he sometimes hangs out but they love the enclosed boxes!!
    And so far since Patches has a cone on her head due to an abscess removal all has been good keeping it where it should be. They just kick it all over the shower stall now.

good luck it should be fine