1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cat urine smell in nursery...help!

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by zarate, Jan 24, 2006.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

We have new carpeting in the nursery, and the cat has found 2 corners in there he likes. We keep the door closed, to keep both the cat and dog out, but the cat can still open the door. Does anyone know how to get the smell out? I'm not worried about a stain as I think I got that, I'm worried about the smell once the baby gets here. The one corner he peed in actually has a piece of carpet that comes all the way out. I'd like to think I could just throw it in the washer, but somehow I don't think that would work. Any suggestions on what to use on these old spots? Does anyone know how well natures miracle for cats works? Thanks for any replies!
    -zarate

2. coppersmom

coppersmom New Member

Well I hate to tell you but I personally have tried everything I can find and NOTHING works on cat pee. And I am not even cleaning carpet. I'm cleaning vinyl flooring and cabinets and where the two meet. I recently messed up three kitchen cabinet doors while spraying/flinging full strenght odor neutralizer in the corner while in a little bit of a rage lol. :x

I would probably just rip out the carpet if I were you. If you do keep it, everything I've read says to make sure you don't steam clean the carpet as that "sets" the pee in the fibers. You can use a carpet cleaner, but don't use heat or steam.

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. :D Nature's Miracle (stain and odor remover) works really well. You can buy it at just about any pet store. I have used it myself and I highly recommend it. You just need to make sure you read the directions on the back and do exactly what it says. For instance if you use it as directed, but there is still an odor after 2 weeks (how long it takes to air dry carpet), then you did not completely saturate all of the urine areas.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00008 ... e&n=284507

You can also buy it in smaller spray bottles that cost around $7-$8 (USA)

4. zarate

zarate New Member

Ok, I see. I did buy a bottle of the Natures Miracle for cats and I picked the carpet up and poured some under it to get on the bare floor below, then I put the piece back down and really saturated that. So....if it's not gone in 2 weeks I didn't get it all, gotcha. There is a gallon jug that I almost got, but didn't. I may go back yet and get it. I'll wait the 2 weeks first tho. I have been leaving the window open (Brrr, it's winter here in Wisconsin LOL) but to air the room out a bit. Before that it smelled of new carpet. So either way it needs to be aired out at least by March, or whenever the baby decides to come! Thanks for the info!
    -Zarate

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I've found Nature's Miracle needs multiple applications to work fully.
    Have you checked out those new products you see on TV? I did try Urine Gone and it worked quite well. And the blacklight they send with it helps also

6. zarate

zarate New Member

I've not seen anything advertised on TV about that, but I'll definately see if I can find it online and check it out. Thanks.
    So should I wait until the area is completely dry (after 2 weeks) before I do another dose? I would just do new carpet, but we've only got a little while left before the baby is born and financially we can't swing new carpet right now. :(
    Thanks for the info!

7. I_Miss_Baz

I_Miss_Baz New Member

I ordered some Urine Gone out of the LTD catalog and just got it today along with the black light.

I have to admit that I'm almost afraid to use the light...what with Lita having kidney failure before she passed on and all. I did have to get rid of a favorite floor pillow of hers that she leaked on.

8. zarate

zarate New Member

I'm tempted to order that as well. I hear ya, I'd be afraid to use it too! We've only lived here since October.....but we just found out the people that we bought the house from had 2 cats and they got rid of one cuz she peed on the floors. The house didn't have an odor or anything tho. But I'm sure my cat could smell the other one. Let me know how you like the Urine Gone
    -zarate