1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Catnip

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Obelix, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I've been making Catnip tea for as long as I can rember and also remeber my cats goin lo-co, i was reading up on catnip and why cats like it and theirs this group agenst giving cats catnip becuase its the equivilent of some "arosual" drugs that humans take but not as dangerous... any comments? I mean is it really that un-safe to give your cat/kitten catnip? Thanks

2. nern

nern New Member

Hmmm...I've never heard of anyone being against catnip. :?

Mine get it ocassionally and seem to really enjoy it.

3. Obelix

Obelix New Member

LOL Theirs no doubt they enjoy it, lucy goes aboutsolutely insane when she gets some. Gotta keep an eye on her otherwise she'll hurt herself running into dressers and such.

4. vene

vene New Member

All my cats love catnip. They lie down sideways and bury their faces in catnip. But if I leave catnip out all the time, they get sick of it and igore it. I could picture Inky, I mean Lucy having a blast! Obelix, I think Inky suits her better than Lucy. Just my opinion. :p

5. Obelix

Obelix New Member

I AGREE!!! I like inky better, but my dad and brother perfer lucy and i think she'd be more confused if she was beaing called 2 differnt names :? She'll always be inky to me :D Thanks for the comments, I think this "anti-catnip"group must have alot of spare time on their hands.

6. vene

vene New Member

Nah, cats are very smart. I give my cat many nicknames and they know who they are. Pumpkin I call Umpy or Pumpkin Pie and she runs to me. Milo I call Milo Beans or Beany Baby or my son calls him Lo Lo and he always reacts. Milo probably thinks we are :0010: so he comes running to see what we are up to. Call Inky Inky Lucy. She'll get it real quick! :m10:

7. sunset05

sunset05 New Member

I give my cats catnip occassionally and they love it. I hope it is not harmful to them. I haven't heard of any problems with it. It's been around for years. It would be interesting to know if there was a study done on it or something.

8. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

9. Ashimmerystar

Ashimmerystar New Member

There are people out there against all kinds of issues, some are important some are just a waste so I wouldnt be surprised if there were people against catnip.

I think however if there was a threat to the safety of our cats the vets at least would give the advice to never use catnip toys. The government doesnt regulate animal toys or flea medications the smae way they do for people however I have been warned by vets to never use flea medicne bought at a place like petco because any company can sell a product that can be harmful to our catbabies and not be held account able for the damage it may do.

I think catnip is ok and it gives our older cats the boost of kitten like energy they need ever day, my cat didnt liek cat nip as a baby but he loves his toys with cat nip! and they make him crazy at night!!

:qm4:

10. Starry

Starry New Member

I wanted to make some catnip toys for my two cats so I went to my local Pet Shop to get some catnip essence. The owner told me that she doesn't stock it because people can use it to come down off an ecstacy induced trip. She had had trouble in the past with drug pushers buying the stuff to sell to kids!

She also told me she didn't recommend it to cat owners because if a cat has a large dose of catnip it makes them dizzy and out of it. If they were then allowed outside they wouldn't know where they were and could easily step out under the nearest car.

I do have a couple of catnip toys and my cats like them, but I think the quantity of catnip used in the toys is minimal and so not dangerous.

Jennie

11. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I did some reading on this a few weeks ago and what I learned is that catnip is basically kitty LSD and they will halluncinate from it. That's why they'll start chasing phantoms and zoomng around with their back hunched up and tail fizzed out. So it's best not to let them have it all the time because it obviously causes undue fear and stress.

The only other thing I found 'against' catnip is that some cats are extremely allergic to it so caution is recommended when giving a kitty catnip for the first time.

12. vene

vene New Member

This is Rene "high" on catnip:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. lucidity03

lucidity03 New Member

Haha, Rene looks very happy.

I give my cats catnip and don't give it a second thought. If they looked stressed or they somehow alarmed me about their reaction, I'd stop giving it.

But, for now, in the safe environment of my house, I give them a little catnip here and there and they simply roll around in it and eat some of it.

I see no harm.

14. vene

vene New Member

Milo on the other hand has a tendency of getting aggressive during catnip time so I have to go easy on him and break up occassional scuffles.

15. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Rene is so pretty! When I give Moe catnip, she sniffs at it, sneezes, does a lap of the house, then falls asleep.

16. bellack1

bellack1 New Member

off topic but vene your pics of your kittys are so cute!!! Howd you do that?

17. vene

vene New Member

You mean the sig pic? EternalFlame did it for me! :eek:

18. Ginger

Ginger New Member

my cats don't like catnip at all, but I give them this stuff thats like catnip and they seem like it don't you think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. vene

vene New Member

Ginger, your babies are so cute! How do you keep your floor in such great condition? My floors are trashed by my furbabies! :(

20. Starry

Starry New Member

Wow Ginger, your little red and white cat looks just like my Pudcat

[​IMG]

What do you think - related? :D