1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Chances of living with parvo?

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by pitbullsmiles, Jun 26, 2007.

1. pitbullsmiles

pitbullsmiles New Member

This came to mind when I saw the other parvo posts. What are the chances of a puppy living with parvo? My friend has a Black Labrador who is the only black pup who lived from the litter. All of the black puppies had parvo. They also have his brother, a chocolate lab named Greasle and Greasle is about 3 times the size of his black brother that survived parvo. What are the chances of a puppy living with parvo? I think it's amazing tht he was the only black pup that lived...
    And does parvo stunt growth? Do you think there will be any problems with a puppy that had parvo later in life??

2. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

It just depends on the dog and the care you give the dog. Enough fluids, anti biotics, immunity booster, ect. Did they go to the vet? Our dogs lived after getting parvo, my friend had a litter who had parvo and 4 survived with her constant care.

3. pitbullsmiles

pitbullsmiles New Member

I'm not sure. I just know that they had a dog that survived parvo, and he was as small as a 3 month old when they were about 6 months old...and jusy wanted to know what the chances are :)

4. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Well if he survived I guess they shouldn't be too worried about chances. He beat the odds already.

5. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

In my opinion Parvo can stunt growth. Here are 2 sisters from the same litter .
    Pepsi Who is a Parvo survivor now around 15 years old.

Then Storm who never had Parvo but passed away due to an inoperable tumor. Storm was around 65/70 Lbs when she was at her peak, while Pepsi never got over 50 Lbs.
    Pepsi
    [​IMG]

Storm
    [​IMG]

Oh Pepsi Current Pic.
    [​IMG]

6. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I think that might be true, Mike.

My female got Parvo at 6 months old and she seemed to stop growing for awhile, I'm not sure if her growth was stunted overall, but she was at a stand still for so long. It took awhile to get her weight back on and her totally healthy again. I also wonder if it cuts down on life span any, for certain dogs. But she eventaully got healthy again and looked awesome, its hard to say though. She had it terribly bad, odds were not in her favor. Her brother didn't make it.

The other female who had Parvo seemed to reach her full potential, but I think it depends on how bad they get it too on how greatly it effects them, it probably also goes with when they get it.

7. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I think it really all depends on how far advanced the parvo was in the individual puppy, and each pup it can effect diffrently.

I had rescues with parvo, and some were smaller for a LONG time then all the sudden just grew again. Then again i've had some that it didn't effect at all. They were treated and died, or they just kept on living.

I've never had much luck other than the few rare cases some of them lived. Usually when i got them they were already in the advanced stages of it.

8. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

Pepsi was in a real bad way when she had it. They had call me and told me she would not survive the next 30 minutes. Just as I was going out the door to see her away they called back and tell me she is doing great but had also contracted corona virus (?) and would need to stay longer on there money.
    She was about 9 mo at the time. That first pic is probably just a day or 2 prior to her gettin ill.
    This pic http://webpages.charter.net/revenge/pics/3Dogs1.jpg
    Is a week after I got her back and you can even see the histamine satellite on her back she got from a reaction to bad antibiotics. She never really got much bigger after the illness.
    The others dogs are Alderon and Ahzbein (Ahzie was Pepsi's Mom).