1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Change in fur texture???

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by abbeys-mom, Apr 24, 2004.

1. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hello All,

My shih tzy Abbey is 10 months old, and it seems that her fur is changing and matting quite frequently. I usually brush Abbey once a week, as her coat is kept quite short.
    Is this normal for an adult coat?

Any tips on keeping the mats out?

Thanks!

2. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Well, I don't have a shitzu. But my terrier mix has twice the amount of hair he did at 1 year old. and my poodle, I hear a poodles coat changes also. They start off with the puppy coat and it changes getting thicker of course. Not sure about the shitzu type of hair, but I'm nearly certain that it is common.

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

It is my understanding that shih-tzus, like some other breeds as well, have a "puppy coat" to begin with, which they slowly start to lose, and is replaced with an "adult coat." I believe I heard that the adult coat has pretty much replaced the puppy coat when the dog is approx. a year old (give or take a little). Apparently, the adult coat is prone to matts more so than than the puppy coat. I have noticed in one of my shih-poos (almost 10 months old) that his hair is starting to matt very easily when it HARDLY ever did before. (That's actually one of the reasons I decided to keep my shih-poos coat at a pretty short length.)

Plus, the shih-tzu coat is prone to matts no matter what, especially if not kept thoroughly brushed at all times.

I don't really know of any tips to keep out the matts besides regular brushing, which you may need to do more often since once a week doesn't seem to keep them away.

Good luck! :D

4. cosmicpixie

cosmicpixie New Member

I have a pom-a-poo. And my groomer told me that cutting your dogs hair will change the texture of it. Which is why we opted not to cut our dog's hair. It has something to do about how it grows back in.

5. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

With a shitzu there is no way around it. Wether it be small trims and keep the hair long or cut it short. They always need to have their coat trimmed one way or another.

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Very true!

A friend of mine got a shih-tzu just about a year ago, and she, along with her husband, wanted to let the coat grow out to the nice long, luxurious, coat you see show dogs with. Well, it was all going fine for the first several months, but it soon started matting up too frequently despite the fact that she would THOROUGHLY brush him EVERY day. So, low and behold, they had to give in and bring their baby in for a cut.

However, despite periodic trims (she is still keeping it long), it is in SUPERB condition! She recently got another one, and is doing the same with his coat as well, and again, a BEAUTIFUL coat!

Just wanted to share! :D

7. sandangel

sandangel New Member

Wow this is interesting subject for me!!!!!!

I have a Shihpoo who had the most gosh awful matty coat from day one and it only got worse. It got to the point where I was taking 2 HOURS each morning dematting it. My poor baby would sit there the whole time not complaining while I was ripping her hair out. She also was shedding alot.
    I decided it had become imposssible at about 4 months and shaved her real short at about 4 months. Low and behold she now has the most beautiful silky hair growing back in its place. It is very shiney, very silky and very smooth with a tiny wave in it. I NEVER would have believed it!!!!

I also have 2 shih tzu's who I have no problems with. They shed almost none and I never have problems with knots or matting. I'm wondering if maybe what kind of food I am feeding them might make a difference in my dogs coats. After all , eating good when you are a person can make your hair look nicer too?????????????

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Most definatley Sandangel. Food is the key. Well plus good genetics.

9. ilovemaltipoos

ilovemaltipoos New Member

Puttin ,you are very right there ,food ,genetics and overall care is the way dogs have the best coats .

10. sandangel

sandangel New Member

I find that all of my dogs seem to grow into really nice coats after I have them a bit. When i only had one I used to feed good dog friendly people food but as I got more dogs I switched to a high quality kibble which I have been very happy with. It's $30 a bag but not so bad really since it's 40 lbs. and my dogs are small.

My sister feeds yucky Old Roy and her dogs always look worn out and haggy. I really feel good dog kibble is a very small investment to make to have a nice looking health dog. Especially if you only have a small dog which a bag of food lasts quite awhile.