1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Changing food needs some advice

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by puttin510, Sep 15, 2004.

1. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I am changing my dogs food over from Innova to natural balance. Has anybody done this and does the natural balance have the same high caloric value as Innova. Do I need to feed less of this too? I need to know soon. I did like your supposed to and mixed their old with their new.

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Compare the recommended feeding amounts on the bags and see if they correspond (and adjust accordingly). Just mix them for a week or two and gradually reduce the amount of the old while increasing the amount of the new.

I have switched foods several times with Nala, but she has a stomach of steel. I just switch cold turkey and she has always been fine. Bonnie went from whatever they were feeding her at the shelter to raw in one day as well, with no ill effects.

3. nern

nern New Member

I'm pretty sure the regular NB formula has 485 kcal/cup so its a bit lower in calories than Innova. I recently started using NB for my cats and have been happy with it so far.
    Just out of curiousity, why are you switching brands?

4. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

The only reason I'm switching is because Sasha has had allergies and I am hoping this helps. If it does not then they are probably are seasonal. Rufus has slowed down on his eating and I'm thinking he could use a change too. Maybe not the best reason for rufus, but if he does not do well on it I will put him back on Innova. He is at a good weight and at least I have that portioning right. He takes his time eating. I give him normally a heaping 1/3's cup of food morning and night. Sasha gets less. But he takes his time eating, you'd think I gave him a whole cup full.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Why Natural Balance? For allergies, have you considered California Natural?

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Jamyia- Yes we have considered california natural. My reasoning for chosing the other was in the taste test, they did not love it. I put it down and sasha almost decided not to eat it. They showed a big difference in their preference. LOL So I went with what they liked.

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Well sure, but if you are switching foods for a possible food allergy, the point is to select a new food that does not contain the allergen. Do you have any idea what ingredients you are trying to avoid? If your dog is allergic to chicken, for example, both Innova and Natural Balance have it so switching won't help. Do you see what I mean?

8. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

I don't have the faintest idea yet what she's allergic too. It just seems that she may have started getting tear staining about the time we gave her innova. I understand what you mean. We shall see what happens with this I'll have to do another switcheroo. I think they even have a venison natiral balance where I go. Thanks. If nothing changes I could buy a small bag for sasha. Of one or the other.