1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

chelle a question about your oscar tank.

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tski22, Jan 19, 2005.

1. tski22

tski22 New Member

:?: i was on oscar.com and i saw your oscar tank and it was like immaculate clean. My question is how do you keep the tank/ plants so clean. Do you have a pelco or anything in that tank. I was wondering b/c it seems like in my firemouth tank, the plants are getting algae and i want to know how to prevent it. Is there any way to have a pleco or otos or anything in that tank w/o the firemouths going crazy? tyia -tl :?:

2. M_wm

M_wm New Member

I think she has 2 plecos in that tank. Not possitive tho.
    (Im not Chelle just for the record)

3. tski22

tski22 New Member

lol thanks M_wm.. do you got anything like that in your jack tank?

4. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Normal i have a big common pleco but I had to move him when they spawned becuz of the agression. I think i might just give it back to my friend (it was his in the first place) Its hard to get them to lay eggs when pleco is waiting to eat them up

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Honestly, I don't know that I'm doing anything really special to keep it so clean. I do have 2 plecos at the moment (getting rid of one in the spring) but I never see them doing much cleaning, though. It has standard Walmart 55 gallon lighting (not very bright) and is in our basement family room so it doesn't get much natural light. It also has a Cascade 700 canister (185 gph = 3.4x turnover) filled with coarse sponges, poly fill, and a bag of gravel for surface area. I do a 30% water change & vac every 1 1/2 weeks which keeps the nitrAtes below 10ppm. And Sherbert gets fed about 5 medium sized pellets 4 or 5 times a day (basically when she begs and hasn't been fed in a while). That's about all there is to the tank.

If you're having problems with green algae, you can try decreasing the amount of light. If it's brown algae (diatoms), try increasing the amount of light. And in both cases, avoiding overfeeding and doing more frequent water changes should help.

-Chelle

6. big-pig-666

big-pig-666 New Member

whats the url for oscar.com i try to go there and it brings me to the award oscars :oops: plzz thanks!

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

8. tski22

tski22 New Member

yeah thats what i mean sorry for the confusion. -tl