1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Chessmind - the story of the other meezers

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Mary_NH, May 9, 2004.

1. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

sometime ago the shelter contacted me (as their contact person for siamese rescue) about a woman who had taken her 2 older meezers to the vet to be PTS - no reason at all - just PTS. The vet didn't feel right doing it, but made an appoint with this person to have her cats checked over for any physical problems. and called the shelter. I called the vet and the woman never kept her appointment so it was assumed she found another vet.

Two weeks ago the woman called me directly. She called the shelter about giving up her cats and/or PTS - she was given my name/number. When we spoke she told me she had to move as the place she rented for a # of years had been sold. She had found a place to rent (rents around here ARE tough to find so I did honestly believe this) but NO PETS - NO EXCEPTIONS.

The oldest meezer at 16 was unwell, but the 14 year old was very loving and in good health. I contacted SRC and it was determined by all that due to the poor health of the 16 yr. old (would be impossible to place an older ill cat) that it would probably be best if the cat was sent over the bridge humanely by her owner rather than be placed in a shelter only to get iller. But the 14 yr. old was next on the list to be accepted in SRC's geezer meezer program.

I called this woman back and told her that there would be an opening for the 14 yr. old soon and if she would please just wait until the end of May (she was moving end of May) SRC would take the cat into the program and rehomed and their approval method is very strict.

She AGREED. Then she gave me a story of not being able to find a vet who would be her 16 yr. old to sleep without running up hundreds of dollars worth of testing first and she couldn't afford it cause all of her extra money had gone into first month's rent, last month's rent, security deposit - all sounded about right to me since that can add up.

So I called my vet and explained the situation to them and they agreed that yes under these circumstances the 16 yr. old would probably only perish anyway and they said they would release the cat from being taken away from its only owner (she'd had them both since they were kittens).

I let her know and passed along an intake form from SRC for her. Then she called me 3 days later and told me she'd had them both put down.

IF it hadn't been for knowing what happened earlier (she didn't realize I knew about the first vet) I would have thought maybe she couldn't just bear to see the healty one go to another home - but now I wonder if she just used me to find someone to put them down. I don't know - I'm surprised she even let me know what she had done. But it's sad.

2. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi Mary. Thank you for taking the time to tell the story again. That's really sad. :( I think if it was me I probably would have felt I was being used too. I wonder what was going through her mind, if she felt that what she did was in the best interest for her cats (in her eyes). I could not give up any of my animals (past and present) for any reason. I realize things happen and there are times when people feel that they must give up their fur animals, but I just couldn't do it.

You might find this bit of info funny, Mary. A while back I was dating this woman. She had a lot of great qualities and I enjoyed spending time with her. Anyway, she was allergic to cats (she didn't mention this until we had been dating for a few months). You know what she told me? She said she wanted me to get rid of Handsome, because she was so allergic! LOL. I just looked at her for a few moments and then started laughing. I explained to her that anyone who would even say such a thing is not someone I want to be dating. I then told her the only thing I was getting rid of was her and showed her to the door. Jeez! What was she thinking? Anyone that knows me even just a little bit, knows that there is no way I would ever give up Handsome. He's my pal and he's here to stay! Now when I go out on dates I always ask if they like cats and if they are allergic to them. :mrgreen:

3. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

p.s. I almost forgot......Happy Mother's Day! :eek:

4. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

thanks Chess

when I met my hubby he had never had a pet, my MIL did not like animals she even once sucked a hamster up in her vacuum (did I mention I don't miss her). Won't mention what she did to my BIL's irish setter after he went into the Air Force....anyway never having had a cat my husband to be wasn't quite prepared for my little love Tami (bless her soul) let's just say that if Paul wanted to spend anytime with me he had to get used to Tami purring in his ear :mrgreen:

5. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Jeez Mary! That mother in law sounds aweful! Poor hampster and dog! :( That is so sad that someone has no regard for another living creature. She must of been one unhappy, miserable lady to be able to do such things to animals. I'm also glad your husband turned out normal though. LOL. I'm glad he made an effort to like your dearly departed Tami. So, did he ever learn to actually enjoy having her around? Does he like cats now? Gosh, I hope so, since you foster! :wink:

6. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

yes Chess he's good with my furkids. We have a standing joke about him being used by my little sealpoint Missy LOL. Missy is my shadow - but I knit and she doesn't like to lay on my lap when I'm knitting cause the yarn is on her - so she'll lay on my hubby's lap. When I get up she gets up and goes wherever I go. It's funny.

My orange boy, Zeus, is very timid/afraid and Paul has been working really hard to get Zeus to relax around him. He approaches Zeus really quietly with his hand out and it's getting so Zeus will let him pet for a little while

7. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

LOL Mary. How long have you had Zeus? Has he always been a timid kind of cat? Does your husband participate in feeding them?

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I got Zeus from the shelter when he was 9 weeks old - he and his little bro were listed as strays, so I often wonder what the little guys had gone through before I got Zeus. Zeus will be 2 in June and I've had him 2 years this coming August.

My husband doesn't feed the critters - he can't remember where I keep their food or their schedule (hell we've been in our house 13 years and he STILL looks for the dish towels when he dries dishes :roll: ).

I went away one weekend to a siamese cat get together and I left a binder full of instructions - where I keep pet food, when I feed who/how, etc. Scary isn't it LOL the man can throw any math answer at ya...but he can't remember where the dish towels are :mrgreen: this is why I keep him - trying to break in another would be much too stressful :D

9. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

LOL Mary. Well, your husband may not like me saying the following, but some men just pretend to not know where anything is or how to do certain things. That way they don't have to do it or at the very least won't be asked to do it. I am not like this at all. I was raised in a family where it didn't matter if you were male or female. We all had to learn how to cook, sew, iron, wash/dry and fold our clothes. I'm actually very thankful I was taught all of these things. Most men know that most women like things done a certain way. So, they know if they don't do it the way you want it, that you'll probably just not ask them to do it again. :wink:

10. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

thanks for the look into the male mind Chess LOL

I've taught my sons to do all that you mentioned also. We are having people over for dinner Friday night and my son has the menu planned and he's cooking. He loves to cook. He asked me the other day to show him how to iron so I don't have to iron his shirts :eek: I adore that kid

Now to teach the cats to change/clean their litterboxes and my life will be great :roll:

11. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Your son sounds like a good kid. I'm glad he knows how to cook and iron and so on, because before long he won't have you to do it all for him. I'm assuming he does plan on moving out someday. LOL.

That would be nice. I ordered Handsome a new Igloo Litter Box. It should arrive on Friday. It's so neat! You know I'll be posting pics! :mrgreen: