1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Chi all of a sudden aggressive

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by CattleDogLover, Mar 5, 2005.

1. CattleDogLover

CattleDogLover New Member

Hi im new to the site im Katie and i own a beautiful tan and black long haired 2 year old Chi named Sassy. My husband being the farm boy he is always said that it doesent matter that she's a lap dog she has to mind just like the working dogs on the farm. And she has really she's a super sweet little dog who minds well and is house trained. But lately she has been acting aggressively towards my husband. The other day she came walking in and she and I were sitting in the living room on the couch and she all of a sudden lunged at him when he came into hug me! It shocked us both since she always seemed to love my husband more then me at times. Then this evening we were talking in the kitchen talking and Sassy was standing by my husband doing her little begging dance for a pet and when he reached down to pet her she nipped his finger. I don't understand it she's been growling at him lately too she's going to the vet tomarow since she was already set up for a check up. We've always taught her that we were the dominent ones and she was to obey us not in a cruel way we don't hit or hurt our dogs in any way their way to important.

We're not even dreaming of getting rid of Sassy and that was my biggest fear since my husband in the first place is'nt a huge fan of a dog that doesent earn its keep but he does seem to enjoy Sassy. She sleeps on his side of the bed :? . Any idea's or opinions would be great and just don't know what to do.

2. nern

nern New Member

Its good that you have a vet appointment for her. Sometimes health issues can cause aggression in dogs.

Unless its health related, it sounds like she might have been resource guarding (you). If she does this often while on the couch with you her couch access should be banned temperarily.

How did you go about doing this? How do each of you react when she misbehaves?

3. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

I agree with nern about the health issue if there is one.
    Im wondering if she has been used to being allowed on the couch all ths time, is it possible that when your not there that your husband has taken her off the couch and put her down on the floor....she jumps back up....he puts her down again, etc... A dog, depending on her/his personality will see this as a 'challenge' and act accordingly. Does she only growl and bite when your there? Is she still content to sleep on his side of the bed?
    The other thing that is common is when there has been a 'falling out' between people, whether its a fight, an arguement, animosity or even the 'silence' when you dont wish to talk, dogs will pick up on your emotions and even a little frustration can cause a dog to become either defensive towards you and will feel it necessary to protect you even though you know you dont need protecting or in some cases the dog may actually turn on you. This happens with kids sometimes, parent yells at kid, or even spanks them and the dog will then feel its his/her place to also 'keep the kids in line'.
    One time I accidentally kicked my chi/fox terrier mix, another dog was trying to jump the fence I ran out after her not seeing the chi at my feet, all 5# of her flew across the floor, she wasnt injured although Im sure it hurt but she wouldnt come near me for a few days, everytime I looked at her she growled at me.
    A friend has a JRT, he and his wife would let the dog on the couch and one would 'wind the dog up' getting her to growl at the other, it was just a 'game' but now if there is anyone on the couch the dog will growl and protect them against anyone else that comes near, its not a game to the dog, its a learned behaviour.
    If it isnt a health issue then its a behavioural issue and something triggered it off, you just need to make a few changes in 'the rules' to stop it.

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

Barring any health problems, which should be ruled out first, you've offered an important clue to what may be going on, behaviorally.

She sleeps on his side of the bed. In doggy society, this means she views him as an equal, and since he allows it, she thinks HE views HER as an equal. You've sent her some mixed signals, and she's confused. A little remedial training might be in order.

First and foremost, get her her own bed, and insist she sleeps in it, at least until her attitude improves. Getting into your bed is a privilege she must earn, and it has to be at your invitation, not whenever she feels like it.

Likewise, sitting with you on the couch should be at your invitation, not when she feels like it. If she growls and lunges at your husband, put her on the floor and ignore her. Do not allow her to get back up on the couch until she's been asked. It would be best if your husband were the one to put her down, even if it means wearing gloves the first few times. And he should be the one to invite her back up.

As alpha members of the pack, you and your husband need to decide when she gets attention. Dancing, whining, any thing that is demanding that you pay attention to her should be ignored. By ignoring her demanding behavior, you're presenting her with a problem. Allow her to solve the problem. "How do I get them to pay attention to me". You show her the solution to her problem by responding immediately when she settles and is quiet. Don't ask her to be quiet. Let her figure that out on her own. But do respond quickly when she stumbles across the solution.

Note...this is for TRAINING purposes only. I'm not suggesting you should always ignore bids for attention. Just use these techniques to re-establish control. Then, after her attitude improves, you can play it by ear. But you should draw a line between asking and demanding, and don't respond to demanding, bullying tactics on her part.

By the way, this is extremely common behavior in Chihuahuas. They're just so darned cute, they get away with a lot of bullying that we don't reccognize as bullying in a dog so small. At least until it turns into growling, lunging, and biting. They're also very determined dogs, with a great sense of self. And they see themselves as Great Danes. No one told them they're little.

5. CattleDogLover

CattleDogLover New Member

Thanks everyone I think not alowing her to sleep on the bed will work. She has always been alowd on the couch as well she's got her appointment at 5 this afternoon. We showed her she was dominent by training he that she does not get what she wants when she wants it in other words she's not the boss. Like insisting on being pet or being held or going in a room she's not alowed. I don't know we're going to work on it though thanks.