1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Chichlid community tank ....

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, May 12, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

What kind and how many chichlids can e put in about a 90 gallon tank.
    any tanks stocks would be nice.
    thanks

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

are you looking towards africans or south americans? and if africans, which lake?

3. tyler_medeiros

I was thinking africans but i have no clue about which lake

4. tyler_medeiros

ok i did some research and i like cichlids from lake Malawi and Tanganyika. i think thats the ones. I like Kribs and labithes.(spelling)

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Most of the africans you'll find at LFS's are from Lake Malawi and most are mbuna. Some of the most commonly found species are: Labidochromis caeruleus, Pseudotropheus socolofi, P. acei, Melanochromis auratus, M. cyaneorhabdos, M. chipokae, M. johanni, Maylandia estherae, M. crabro, M. lombardoi, M. greshakei, M. zebra OB mbuna, M. callainos, Labeotropheus fuelleborni, Aulonacara hybrid (OB peacock), Nimbochromis venustus, N. livingstonii. Not all of them make good tankmates but they're a good place to start your research.

Here's some pretty good tank recipes (although I don't agree with the total stocking numbers. For a 90, I'd go with around 30 mbuna.)
    http://www.malawimayhem.com/articles_tank_recipes.shtml

-Chelle

6. tyler_medeiros

thanks chelle.
    I took a look at that website and me and my girlfriend picked out some that we liked alot.

7. hooterhead

hooterhead New Member

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/ is another good one to find different types of africans. i have an mbuna tank that's a 55. usually with mbuna's, you want more space per fish cause they are pretty aggressive. and in that 90 i wouldn't have more than 2 males. maybe 3 if you're feelin' lucky. they are very territorial and will fight to the death to defend it. they like a sandy substrate. aragonite if you go that way. i just have natural gravel in mine and they like it just fine. they need lots of caves and a high ph. holey limestone works good for both. keeps ph high (around 7.8-8.1 is good) and also gives them the caves they need.