1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Chihuahua**HeLp NeEdEd**

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Kassandra, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Kassandra

Kassandra New Member

I have a few questions to ask you..

1. Where should I get a Chihuahua, Breeder or Pet-Shop?
    2. What age should I get one at?
    3. Should I ask for one, for Christmas?
    4. Are they HARD to take care of?
    5. Do they get a long with other animals in the house?

((my cat plays with dogs, and juts loves them))
    I WILL HAVE MORE QUESTIONS SOON!!

Thanks for answering if you do, I appreiciate it! :lol:

2. Kathy74

Kathy74 New Member

Hey Kassandra! Did your mom OK a chihuahua? I would suggest either look for a reputable breeder or rescue. I always worry about puppy mills with pet shops. Rescue is a great way to go cuz it's giving a dog a second chance to have a great home. Also, they can often tell you about what they've observed of the dog's disposition. Read the tips on finding a good breeder if you decide to go that way. I'd suggest not getting one for Christmas as it's usually such a busy time for people and it's alot for a new puppy to walk in to, but that's just my opinion. As for what age to get, that's where rescue can be nice too. You can look for a dog that's been in foster care and has had some training and been socialized, or with a breeder, you would probably get a young puppy which can be a lot of fun if you enjoy training, but is also alot of work. I think that's personal preferance. With rescue, they don't always know the dogs history, and even if they do, there can still be some surprises! Our Serene was abused before she came to us, and even knowing that going in, there was still alot of hard work to earn her trust, and alot of things we didn't know, but we dealt with as they came. Good luck with your search, and keep us posted!

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

I would definately disguss this with your parents/ Yes Chis are a bit more to take care of. THey are tiny and get hurt easily.

If thats what you want. I would go for a rescue. Older dogs and younger ones are available. Older dogs are great pets, because many of them are already trained, and just need a loving family. you can find someon Petfinder.com

4. Jas

Jas New Member

5. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

I would not really classify kassandra's question as falling under that post at all, because first of all, it was only a very general question, not asking for specific names of breeders or pet shops, etc, and secondly, it was only one part of her question. Not trying to be rude at all- that's just my opinion.

Kassandra, to respond to your question, I would always look into rescuing one first, because not only will you be helping a homeless dog find a good home, but you have the option of adopting an older dog that is already calmed down a little and possibly housebroken. Nomatter if it is an older or younger dog, though, they are a lot of work, especially at first, so be sure that you are ready to handle the responsibility of caring for a dog full time, and that you have the support of your parent or parents. Hope this helps, and here is the link to petfinder, which is a great way to find rescue dogs in your area- you can choose the breed, age, area, etc. that you are looking for.
    www.petfinder.org

edit-- oops I didn't see that Sam already put a link to petfinder. Sorry for the repeat info :?

6. Jas

Jas New Member

Puggle, I did not classify her post as anything otherwise I'd have removed her thread. I left the link to save posting it all again and because beyond the first paragraph if you notice there is some educational information (copied below) that I thought would be useful to help find a pet or at least a good breeder who can help answer ALL her questions.

Taken from my link:

Some things you can do to help find a puppy/dog:

* Contact the Regional or National breed club, use a net search (like www.google.com ), type in the breed and this should bring up the Clubs website.
    *Review the Clubs CODE OF ETHICS before contacting anyone and then either contact the secretary or view the club's breeder listings. Remember the breeders should belong to their clubs and follow the club's code of ethics.
    *Keep in mind that just because someone is listed with a Breed Club does not make them reputable or mean they have been screened/approved, many breeders PAY $$$ to list their kennel.
    *One of the main things to look for is a breeder whose priority is health & temperament. These people breed health tested (certified by OFA or other registry - not just "vet checked" ) Parents with sound, stable temperaments. It is also a plus if Breeders show in Conformation and/or participate in performance.
    *Ask to see the health clearance certificates - registries will send a copy to the breeders. One registry is the Orthopedic Foundation For Animals (OFA) www.offa.org Type in the kennel name and breed choice and it will list OFA certified dogs - this includes things like Hips, Elbows, Eyes (cerf), Heart, Thyroid, Patella etc. Clicking on the dogs name will bring up what the dog has been certified for and the results (i.e. Hips Excellent, good, fair etc...)
    *Attend a dog show or performance trial, this is a good way to begin contact with a breeder/owner and a great way to view different breeds and learn!

Some informative links that may be helpful in finding a reputable breeder:

http://www.jackshuler.com/bbvsrb.htm
    http://www.iupui.edu/~ihls400/responsible_breeder.html
    http://members.tripod.com/antique_fcr/goodbreeder.html
    http://members.tripod.com/GWDalmatianCl ... reeder.htm

Don't forget about Rescue either. Adopting a dog is a wonderful way to help and animal in need of a great home. There are plenty of all breed rescue groups use a net search (like www.google.com ), type in the breed and this should bring up the Rescue's website. Shelters usually have adoptable dogs online and www.petfinder.com has many dogs of all breeds/mixes from Puppies to Seniors listed from various shelters