1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese algae eater chasing.....

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by zarate, Oct 9, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

Hi, I have noticed my chinese algae eater is chasing my cory cat, as if trying to attatch himself to the cory. He/she is very fat so I don't think he/she is hungry, OR could the chubbieness of the chinese algae eater be eggs? My Danio is also fat, and I assume it's a female and she's got eggs. Is it the same for chinese algae eaters, because they too are egg layers?
    Should I feed him some wafers for bottom feeders? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Also, I have these 3 fish in a 10 gallon freshwater set up, no salt. Thanks!
    -Mandi

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

CAE's are nasty little fish known for sucking on other fish and causing ulcers. Feeding some algae waffers might help.

Also, you have some serious stocking issues. CAE's can get close to a foot long and would need at least a 40 gallon tank. Your cory & danio should be sort of okay in the 10 gallon, but they are both social fish and really should be kept in groups of at least 3 for the cories and 5 for the danio. The problem with that is 10 gallons really is pretty tiny so you can't keep very many fish in it.

Do you know what kind of cory it is? What kind of danio?

If it were me, I'd return the CAE since your tank isn't nearly large enough and he's causing problems anyway. And assuming it's just a zebra danio and one of the small/medium cories, I'd get 1 - 2 more cories and 3 more danios if you plan on keeping them in the 10 (but even that is going to be very heavily stocked and you will have to be very strict about doing your weekly water changes). If you're going to upgrade to at least a 20 sometime within the next few months, then you could get away with adding 3 or 4 cories and 5 more danios.

-Chelle

3. zarate

zarate New Member

Yes, I've learned the hard way about CAE. I got him at Petco, and that was my first mistake, they'll do anything to get a sale. When I got the CAE it was tiny. I told them I don't want a pleco, I knew they got huge, so they said a CAE would be perfect. YA RIGHT! I am returning him to the LFS, because I know he's still growing. I've had him for 2 years..so ya kinda get attatched, but I really like my cory, and I want him to live peacefully. (not sure what kind he is, I *think* a spotted) I have a zebra danio, she's red...I don't know if there is another name for her, my brother ordered it from the internet a long time ago and that's all I know about this fish. Would the pygmy cory's get along/be happy with my current cory?
    I'd love to upgrade to at least a 20, but if I'm able to upgrade (I'm a little broke at the moment, I'm pregnant and haven't been able to work...complications...so money is tight) I'd get something bigger than a 20. We've looked at the really big ones with the nice stands, but just can't afford it right now. Down the road I will have one of those nice aquariums in my living room! Thanks for you reply.
    -mandi

4. Shineillusion

Shineillusion New Member

I think I must have the only CAE in the world who never bothers the other fish in my aquarium. He did go through a phase when he was between 2 and 3 inches long where he'd bother the other fish. I got so mad at him one day I put him in a Mason jar while I decided what to do about him. Of course, I couldn't leave him in a jar, so I put him back in the tank, and he hasn't bothered my fish since! I have no idea why he stopped. I'm sure it has nothing to do with being put in a Mason jar for 2 hours, LOL. But for whatever reason, he stopped and I still have him.

Right now he's somewhere in the 6-7 inch range, so he still has some growing to do. But I'm happy with him. He keeps the tank spotless, but I do feed him tablets, as there isn't nearly enough algae to keep him will fed.