1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas Pressant

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by 3_second_memory, Oct 31, 2004.

1. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

Hi guys, im asking you for your ideas.

right.............. for xmas i want to get my mum some fully aquatic frogs and my dad a few tetra's. i cant spend too much and my rents dont have enough for even a medium tank. ill need a heater. is it neccessary for a light when in the kitchen with thru light. wot is the min gallons i shd get and wot racio of etras and frogs shd i get?

thank you.

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

im thinking the frogs would eat the tetras

3. dhutch2352

dhutch2352 New Member

If they are africian dwarf frogs I have never had a problem with mine trying to eat my fish. He has eaten on a dead fish but never a live one.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

ADF's stay small (1" - 1 1/2") so they'll do fine with tetras. They are fine singly or in groups, just allot at least 2 gallons/frog.

For tetras, there's a wide variety you could get so you'll have to be a little more specific about what you're looking for. Tetras are social fish, though so you should get at least 6.

I also suggest oto cats because they will eat leftover food and algae. So 2 - 3 of them would be good.

So assuming you got 6 tetras (and assuming they only got 2" - 3"), 2 otos, and about 4 frogs, you would need approximately a 30 gallon aquarium.

-Chelle

5. 3_second_memory

ok, thats great thnk you alll.

t-chelle-

im thinking either neons or cardinals. should have specified.

god, 30 gallons, ok thats a shock. my three foot is only 17gals and hold 16 tetra's.

ok, well are all fully aquatic frogs tropical , i assume they are.

and about the lighting? obviosuly i dont want the natural light causing algae. i just dont have space in my rents kitchen or what ever to accomidate for 30gals.

any other ideas? DTF's sound good.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Neons get about 1 1/2" and cardinals get about 2". And the nice thing about neons is they don't produce very much waste so you can stretch the 1" rule a little. So if you got 15 neons, you could get away with about 10 - 12 gallons for them then another 4 gallons for a pair of frogs and maybe 4 gallons for a pair of otos. So you could get away with a 20 gallon. A 20 tall is only 24L x 12W x 16H which isn't really huge.

Yes, african dwarf frogs are tropical. And make sure you get dwarf frogs, not clawed frogs. The easiest way to tell the difference is dwarf frogs have webbed front feet and clawed frogs don't (hence their name). And if it's albino, it's a clawed frog.

I would just go with a standard aquarium light. And if you get the otos, you shouldn't have a major problem with algae.

-Chelle

7. Pekemom

Pekemom New Member

Great advice, T Chelle! Very specific and helpful. :eek: And a GREAT Xmas present, too!

8. 3_second_memory

thank you.

i have an aquarium thats 60cm (2ft) by 1ft and 30cm up, books say that size is only 15gals at a push.

my 3ft tank is 3ft, by about maybe a ft back and maybe a ft up, its shallow from top to bottom, is it really only 17gals. ???

ok, so heres my idea, the reson i never had 4tanks and just 3 is becasue when i had 4 the elec bill went through the roof, so now im thinking cold water so you dont hv elec for a heater.

i have minnows in my cold, white clouds and some pink ones with red tails.
    god imm alful for remembering names.

ok, iv never really seen them schoal (sp?) but they do dont they? so that would be the equilivant of tetra's. but what about an interesting fish. can you get fully aquatic cold frogs, i doubt it.

i have whether loaches, but my mum doesnt like them too much coz they look like snakes aparently to her. (d'oh)

i know u can get albino cories that go in cold water, but they wouldnt interest my rents, so again...................

any ideas?

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

My rosie minnows in my pond do sort of a loose schooling. They swim in a group, but not a tight group so you probably wouldn't seem much schooling behavior in a 15 gallon.

ADF's can go w/o a heater, but if the temperature gets too far below 72* it's not really good for them.

I did some looking around and apparently zebra danios do okay in temperatures down to the mid 60's so they should be fine w/o a heater. They would fit better in a 15 gallon and you'd more likely see some schooling behavior.

-Chelle

10. 3_second_memory

well, my LFS said they can go without a heater too, (frogs) i saw some albino ones and they only had webbed back feet, so they must be clawed frogs??????

on the Dwarf ones, are all four feet webbed?

how about minnows with them? the frogs wont eat them will they.

thank you for you info so far,

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

12. 3_second_memory

yeah, these had only webbed back feet.

right heres my plan, iv seen this new tank range thats in the uk, that the filter in inbuilt in the roof of the tank, and it filters thro a pole, small, like an external filter.

its plastic but is v.stylish, i nd to find out how many gals, i thought id go 4 a couple of ADF's and some minnows, the pink ones, sorry, im brain dead.

and maybe a crap sucker, like a cory.

thnak you all for your help!

13. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Those where ACF's then which get too big to mix with small fish.

Remember that cories need to be in groups of at least 3 (6 would be better). And most get 2" - 3". So whether you can add them or not is going to depend on the size of the tank. There are, however, 3 species of pygmy cories that only get about 1". And I would still recommend zebra danios over minnows because they don't get quite as big and you'd be more likely to see schooling behavior in a smaller tank.

-Chelle

14. 3_second_memory

danios are rather large when the grow, especially with the long finage, but i see what you mean.

oh, yeah, pigmy cories, i think my BF has some of them hes a cory obbsessive!

thank you.