1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cichlid suggestions for 29 gallon?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by zarate, Jan 2, 2006.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

I'm in the process of cycling a 29 gallon tank and I'm looking for suggestions as to what kind of cichlid to put in it. My water is hard and alkaline, and I'd like to match my fish to my water so I don't have too many problems down the road. What are your favorite cichlids? What kind do you have? What kind of water do you keep them in? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks a bunch
    -Zarate

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Some shell dwellers would be great.

-Chelle

3. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i would also do some shell dwellers

4. lil shant

lil shant New Member

rams lol u got to love them or angelfish

5. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

How much space do angelfish require? I am interested in them now...

6. lil shant

lil shant New Member

i think u can keep 2 or 3 cosue i have heard from the other threats that u need one for each 10 gallons

7. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

10 gallons per angelfish is kinda tight. Some people say 20 for each others say 15.

8. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

So a 29 for a pair would be reasonable? Thanks for the help...

9. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Angelfish like acidic soft water, and big tanks. You have hard alkaline?They need lots of tall plants to swim and hide in. Tall tanks are great. I think that 29 gallons for 2 angels is pushing it, as they grow really big.
    Be careful.

10. dbltrubl98

dbltrubl98 New Member

What is the next size I could use than for a pair of angels? Also what size filter and heater would I need?

11. connor

connor New Member

why not try ?

why dont you try jewels i put them in my tank and there doing fine.

:eek: PS. they are very agressive. :eek:

12. gravity

gravity New Member

A few simple guidelines for most 29g tanks:

1) Avoid MOST South American cichlids (oscars, jack dempseys, etc), they get WAY too big. Rams are great, though. I think Convicts might also be ok.

2) Avoid MOST African cichlids, especially mbuna (zebras, socolofi, auratus, etc.) as they also get pretty big. Brichardi and shelldwellers are pretty much your choices for Africans.

Your problem is that you won't be able to find these fish at Petsmart or really any chain store (except the convicts). But in a way, that's good because people who see your tank will be much more impressed by how rare your fish are (even though they're not really rare, your guests wouldn't know that). Check the Yellow Pages phonebook for pet stores and try calling a few of the stores in it to see what they have to offer.

I currently have a group of Brichardi in a 29 gallon tank, and they're doing quite well. Here's some pics of what my fish look like:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/img/daffodil1.jpg
    http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/img/Ne ... ardi_2.jpg

Good luck!