1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning out filters

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by JxKIM89, Jul 16, 2004.

1. JxKIM89

JxKIM89 New Member

I have a AquaClear filter and i wanted to know how often do i need to clean it or replace the spongy thing and all the other stuff that you put in it?

2. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

i usually do mine each 2 months. But when you do, make sure to do a 25% water change. the water you take out rinse the new filter insert in there so it picks up needed chemicals and bacterias.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

NEVER replace the coarse sponge. Just rinse it out in a bucket of old tank water (not tap water) to get the gunk off.

What other stuff do you have in your filter? You don't really need carbon, but if you have it, it loses it's effectiveness after about 2 weeks. But unless you're trying to remove meds, there's no need for carbon.

-Chelle

4. OneWolvesDream

oo i never saw the sponge part. i thought it was just about the filter insert. but yes rinse the insert in water that used to be in your tank so the water is treated and has all thats needed.

5. Mwm

Mwm New Member

I have carbon and the sponge in my aqua clear 150, T_Chelle16 i dont need the carbon? im just wopndering i dont know alot and ive been buying the carbon but im not going to if i dont need to.

6. OneWolvesDream

it isnt much of a big deal the carbon just makes that little extra cleaning on taking things out.

7. tina1

tina1 New Member

Contrary to most people, I like running carbon in my tanks. Keeps the water extra sparkly clean. Also contrary to most others I do replace the filter sponge when it gets worn out after repeated rinsing (every three months or so). I use a high powered hose to rinse off all the junk from the cartridge too. Haven't ever done the old tank water thing. But maybe I can get away with all this because I have a bio-wheel, who knows? Never experienced any odd spikes or anything doing things this way for the last 2 years.

Just thought I'd share a different view.

8. OneWolvesDream

not a bad idea!

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, the biowheel will definitely make a difference.

All carbon does is remove odors & chemicals (ie meds). I quit using carbon about 6 months ago and my tanks are nice & clear. Carbon loses it's effectiveness after about 2 or 3 weeks so if you're not relplacing it that often, it's not doing anything other than providing surface area for bacteria to grow on.

-Chelle

10. OneWolvesDream

oo, but wont the smell come up after awhile? like in the water? because not using a real filter insert for my fry the tank starts smelling easly.

11. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

only change the sponges when they are really looking rough, i mean falling apart at the seems, but if theres more than one sponge, chasnge one at a time, never all at once.

Take care. amy. x

12. OneWolvesDream

good point!