1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Cloudly water wont go away! WUTS WRONG?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Trickster, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Ive tried everything to clear it up, special products, daily water changes, cleaning, everything, it wont clear up. Wut can i do finally clear it up?

i got Carbon in my filter and all. I am under stocking limit.

2. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

1st thing i would do is stop add chemicals i stay away from chemical
    2nd keep up with water changes try and make the water the temp as in the tank
    i would do daily water changes of 15 to 25 % untill clear while your doing this don't clean the filter or gravel just water
    hopefully it will be clear in about a week or two

3. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Well, ok, ill do the daily water changes, but every time i do manage to get is some-what clear it always fogs up again! Wuts causes it to do that?

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte (actual numbers please)?

-Chelle

5. Trickster

Trickster New Member

I dont have test kits for those, I only got ph readings, (IM to poor to afford those... they like $12 each.)

6. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

i am thinking your ammoniais spiking

7. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Well i just did a big water change last night (50%) and im doing daily 25% water changes, if theres any ammonia it will be taken care of. + i got ammonia remover in my filter.

8. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Trickster, Well so far we're missing the first obvious question. What color is the cloudiness? If it is green then you have an algae bloom. If it is an algae bloom then having the nitrAte count will give an indication as to how much of a water change needs to be done. Also you will need to restrict the amount of light on the tank.

If it is white then you have a bacterial bloom probably indicating at least a mini cycle. As much as you have been changeing the water and cleaning the tank and filters it is probably a full blown cycle. The numbers for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte will tell where you are in the cycle. If it is cycling and you continue to clean the tank and filters it keeps the cycle from completing and you will continue to have the cloudiness until the tank completes the cycle.

9. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Its grey, so i should just keep doing water changes? (daily)

10. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Your tank is cycling. Without the numbers for ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate it will be impossible to tell where you are in the cycle. As Fish Addict said, "Change only the water. Do not clean the gravel and filters". You change the water to keep the ammonia level down without removing any from the gravel and filter so that the tank will continue to cycle.

11. OnixRevolution

OnixRevolution New Member

If you cant afford to buy the tests, then take some of the water straight from the tank and take it to a store that offers free water testing. They'll be able to tell you where you are.

12. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

lfs normally do it for free just ask for your actual numbers because they might be like it fine thinking you will buy more at that store

13. Trickster

Trickster New Member

So i shouldnt gravel vacum?