1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

cloudy water

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by jme1913, Oct 11, 2004.

1. jme1913

jme1913 New Member

My 10 gallon fish tank is cloudy. It is not a new tank it has been running fine since early may. It has plants, and an apple snail that eats the decaying plant material and food. In mid september, it started to get cloudy. In the begining I had some fish die. Since then I have cleaned my tank everyweek to make sure it isn't decaying material that is making it cloudy. I have cleaned it once a week for over a month and it is still cloudy. The pH is 7, the temp is 78(my room is always warm),the ammonia levels and NO2 levels are very low according to the test kit that i used. So why is my tank still cloudy?

I have 1 small goldfish who has survived w/ me since I started having my own fish, 1 whitecloud, 2 rasboras, 1 neon type fish, 3 guppies (2 are babies), 1 pleco, 1 applesnail, and several plants -Aponogeton crispus and Nymphaea lotus

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Well for starters, your tank is severely overstocked. A 10 gallon isn't even big enough for the goldfish by itself.

What is your reading for nitrAte? Could you give me exact numbers for ammonia and nitrIte? "Very low" doesn't help much.

-Chelle

3. jme1913

jme1913 New Member

The goldfish is still tiny, he was my first fish that I got along with the whitecloud...before I realized how big they got...my parents have 2 other fish tanks but for now he is in mine. Also the pleco is very small still. The total ammonia level (NH3+NH4) is about 0.1ppm and the toxic ammonia (NH3) is at 0.006ppm. Sorry if I said NitrAte before my I am looking over the kit and the results and realize there is only a NitrIte test. which was 0.
    I have been using the Fresh Lab Red Sea kit
    Do you think the goldfish's amount of waste could have done this to my tank even though I have been cleaning it every week?

4. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Ohter then the goldy and the pleco ur not really over stolked

5. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

my coldwater tank did that!

it just went cloudy, i think coz something died and the catfish ate it, and i cleaned the filter and power head. jewel rekord 70, and it still didnt work, but then the filter wasnt clogged, put spare fluval 2 in and its clened up great! so perhaps a secondary filter coz of the stoking levels?

6. sushi101

sushi101 New Member

buy a bigger tank , small ones are not easy to keep. :wink: