1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

clown fish and star fish and other fish

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by christianwalker, Jun 1, 2004.

1. christianwalker

christianwalker New Member

how big will a star fish get and how big will a clown fish like nemo get can I put them in a 10 gallon tank asking before I get them

2. HCL113083

HCL113083 New Member

3. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

Clownfish also are best if kept with an anemone, and one of those wont fit into a 10 gallon.

4. christianwalker

how big does a clown loach get anyone know and what do they eat let me know

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

how big should the tank be for a anemone ??

6. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

The size of an anemone depends on the type you get. Some stay relatively small while others get very large. You should probably have at LEAST a 30 gallon for an anemone. They're also extrememly picky about their water conditions and require a good water current (from a wave-maker) and live rock. So I deffinately wouldn't recommend an anemone for someone who isn't experienced with reef aquariums.

7. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

ok hmm can you give me some sites on setting up a reef aquariums thanks

8. christianwalker

have a question what is the best size tank to use as a salt water tank and the easiest way to set up a salt water tank and also does anyone know how big a clown loach gets it is a fresh water fish I have it in my 60 gallon

9. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

A good size for a saltwater aquarium is at least 55 gallons. Bigger is better when it comes to reefs, I say! A good site for reef aquariums is www.reefcentral.com go to the forums, there's one for beginners, and the people there are SO helpful. Another good one is www.reefaquariumguide.com the forums here are also great, but I prefer reef central for some reason. Good luck!

10. fishy_chick

fishy_chick New Member

I'm setting up a 65 gallon reef aquarium and I'm on a tight budget so I'm trying to go as simple as possible. The first thing is to get a good size tank (55g+) and a really good stand (rock and water weighs a lot. For my 65g I bought a stand that holds up to 900 pounds.) Filters really important, you need more filtration in a reef that in a fish-only tank. I have a fluval 204 AND a fluval 104. A protein skimmer is also a must have. Lighting is where your money will go. Metal Halides are great for keeping corals and inverts, but if you get these you also need either a fan (not just any fan, you need to buy one from you fish store) or a chiller- and those cost money. Because I cant afford those lights AND fans, I'm going to power compact lighting and I'll only keep corals that dont need a lot of high-intensity lighting. Then you need a heater.

For things that actually go in the tank, add substrate first. I went with 60 pounds of aragonite and that cost me $94. Then add your water (not just any water though.) You'll need live rock (about 1lb of rock per 1 gallon of water) Um... cycle for a month, buy a test kit so you can test your water every few days, and continue to do this after your reef is established. I'm not going to go into more detail, so check out those sites I listed previously. If you have any other specific questions, you can ask me and I'll try my best to answer them.