1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

collar or harness

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by pitlove, Jun 25, 2004.

1. pitlove

pitlove New Member

i have a question...bailey is GREAT about walking with us (the few steps she does walk and not ride in the bottom cart of the stroller) but i was thinking i should get her used to a collar/harness leash type situation in case we go anywhere where i need to control her a bit more.
    what do you guys suggest? bailey is a yorkipoo and weighs about 6 lbs. i don't like the crappy harnesses you get at the pet stores i was looking for something a little more unique if that's the way i needed to go...

2. nern

nern New Member

Awe, I can just picture that....how cute!

I use harnesses on both of mine. You could probably find something unique at one the online stores such as www.tinydogstore.com or www.uptownpets.com .

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

That soft harness was cute. You should get him used to the harness. You just never know when he may get the gumption to bolt after another dog. It does happen.

4. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I would definitely recommend a harness!!! :y_the_best:

:D

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

ditto on the harness vote!

I used a collar on MY Bailey at first and then I heard how it isn't good for them because of the collapsed trachea issues (or whatever it was?!?!? now I can't remember) that happens with small dogs... my vet pretty much made me swear I was going to buy a harness for him. Funny thing is the minute I put the harness on him, he started walking so much better for us on the leash... .:)

6. pitlove

pitlove New Member

thanks

:eek:
    so much for everyone's advice. I LOVE this forum! :D
    oh by the way monster - i saw a topic of yours about bandanas and they have great ones at the link that someone replied to on this topic

http://www.uptownpets.com/dressupba...in. i'll get to hunting for a harness! :)

7. papillon/mom

papillon/mom New Member

I had a tough time w/the harness w/my Rosco I bought a collar first (cat of course) he wouldn't walk, then I got a harness (cat too) it just didn't fit him right it all went to the front of him and he wouldn't walk anyways but is there a certain kind that fits better for smaller dogs? I don't want to spend an arm and a leg but I would like to see my little guy walk w/a leash, he won't though I hate to buy a harness again that won't work.

8. pitlove

pitlove New Member

hey puttin

did you look at that website above? the tiny dog store has a soft walking harness that looks like it'll do good. fits like a shirt...i think i'm gonna try it out.

9. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Thanks pitlove! I'll go check it out.... I already placed an order on the petedge site (they were cheap, and just what I was looking for)... but I'll check out that site too! :)

By the way... one of the ladies at work bought these "shirt type" harnesses at a local craft fair. They are made out of cloth, and fit like a t-shirt, but they work like a harness. REALLY CUTE! (and have matching leashes, of course) And would be great for your little Rosco.... I'm sure they are available on the net somewhere! I'll have to look for ya!

10. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

oops! now that I reread your post, pitlove, I think that might be what you were talking about too! I wish I knew what they were called tho! hmmm

11. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

At our local swapmeet, theres a guy that makes small harness. Small enough for a tiny chihauhau. They usually are in browns and blacks. The price is just shocklingly wonderful.

12. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

hmmm... i wonder if they are the same type of thing. Are they made of material? (fit like a t-shirt) or are they nylon?

13. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

They are leather. It's just they are hard to find in small sizes. I bought three and I'm going to send them Shirely. Don't tell her. It will be along with a collar I made for sammy. I hope it fits. She said she never measured his neck before, so I had looked at his pictures and he looks to be the size of Sasha. If it doesn 't she can use it in the photo contest as a gift along with the harnesses.

14. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

ohhhh that's awfully sweet of you!! I bet she'll love it!!

15. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I agree with Monster...how nice of you, puttin!!! :y_the_best:

:D

16. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

She has been so nice to me and my dogs. Helping with finding the right supplements to help sasha.
    Which by the way she is not limping anywhere as much as she was and she plays a little now. I love watching a poodle play.

17. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

I gotta' tell ya', she is one smart woman!!! :y_the_best:

18. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

puttin, that is so awesome that the supplements are working! it's amazing!! :) I'm very happy for you... I know you were really getting worried about your baby.

19. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Yes, she had me crying, the big blubber head I am. I never cry, but the little fluff ball sure can bring it on. I know it is inevidable and one day nothing will help, so I'll enjoy while I can.

20. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

HEYYYY I'm a big blubber head too!!! :)