1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Colors fadding on Tiger Oscar

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by chuisoccer01, Jan 12, 2005.

1. chuisoccer01

chuisoccer01 New Member

I baught a Tiger Oscar a few days ago, and it's colors were great. then I got it back to my 30gal tank and now the red is becomming lighter. It's eating Roseys, and it's swimming around some. Just thought anyone out there might know whats going on. thanks

2. tski22

tski22 New Member

30 gal is to small for an oscar, and you shouldnt be feeding it roseys, maybe an occasional treat, but pellets would be better. That may be why. What size is the oscar? -tl

3. chuisoccer01

chuisoccer01 New Member

Not that Big yet

It's only about 6 inches long. I asked the pet store what they were eating to make sure I wasn't going to change it's diet. they said they were feeding them rosey, and I was like ok... I also have pelets. there a little small I am going to be going to the store to get larger pelets.

Thanks for the info

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hey, wher at in michigan are u from? i live in MI also.....well, anyways....the water quality might not be as good and you mgiht need a water change if u havnt had one recently, the fish might still be getting used to its new "house" so the colors arnt as rich as you first saw it (dont worry, if thats the case colors will be back in a few days max.).....also, you shouldnt be feeding your oscars live feeders.....they are notorious for bringing in tons of diseases and parasites which could end up killing your fish......and to save T_Chelle time, what are the ph, nitrItes, nitrAtes, and temp of the tank?

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Thanks. :D You forgot ammonia, though. ;)

Yup, basically what's been said already. Could be water quality related, could be diseases/parasites introduced by the feeders, could be just normal sulking. We won't be able to start narrowing it down until you post yoru water parameters (actual numbers please).

Also, at 6" your oscar is going to be too big for your 30 gallon in a month (he's actually close to borderline as it is). Honestly, and I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it's the truth, unless you can get a 50+ gallon tank (75 would be preferable) within the next couple of weeks, it really would be best for you to return the oscar and get something more suitable for your tank.

-Chelle

6. chuisoccer01

chuisoccer01 New Member

The numbers are in

Here are some of the numbers that I got ffrom a test.
    Nitrate(NO+3) is 10, Nitrate(NO-2) is .5 Hardness is 250 Alkalinity is 180 and the PH is 8 let me know what you think

Adam

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How is he acting/looking now?

Your nitrIte should be 0 (any amount is toxic). Having an ammonia reading would be helpful, but going just off of the nitrIte and nitrAte reading, I'm guessing your tank was cycling (which is very stressful for fish). And since you have a decent nitrAte reading and a fairly low nitrIte reading I'm guessing it's nearly done (although I can't say for certain w/o an ammonia reading). I would do a water change and see if you can get the nitrIte reading down to 0.

-Chelle

8. chuisoccer01

chuisoccer01 New Member

thnaks for the info

Tomarrow is my tank cleaning day for fish tanks. So I will do that. What about the hardness of the water?

9. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

correct me if i am wrong

but i am pretty sure colors fading on your tiger is normal....some days mine is faded in color.....others the colors are very bold.....there are always some spots that are constant but for the most part i think its normal.....i am sure chelle can correct me if i am wrong, but i would not worry about it unless he/she is acting funny

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Re: thnaks for the info

It's higher than their ideal range, but they can adapt. It's not so far off that it would be worth trying to change it (messing with the pH & hardness can sometimes do more harm than good). My water is about the same as yours and my oscar, plecos, cories, otos, etc (all soft, acidic water fish) are doing just fine.

-Chelle