1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

confused

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by tmountain, May 15, 2004.

1. tmountain

tmountain New Member

Hi everyone. Ive posted a couple times before and want to thank everyone who helped. Im in my early 40s. When I was in my early 20s I went to a pet store to look around. I ended up buying a dog. I thought that loving a dog was all it needed, but later realized that it needed more than love but everyday care that I didnt have time for. I am now married with 4 children, and wanting a dog. I have researched online for the right breed for our family.I wont be getting a dog for a few months, because I want to make sure I know alot about the breed. The breeds that would be best for us is the pug, poodle, schnauzer, or the boston terrier. It does not have to be a purebreed, but it does have to be under 20 lbs, cant shed alot, and only need to be groomed once or twice a week. I love to go for walks so this dog would be my campanion. Ive looked at different sites for the breeds ive mentioned and they all differ on the shedding, for instance, a breeder lve looked into say that a puggle does not shed, but another says that a pug sheds heavy. My husband doesnt mind a dog but it cant shed. Ive been researching for about 4months. Which of these breeds or mixed breeds would be best for us. My youngest child is 2yrs. :?: P.S. Sorry if this is long but I am confused as who to believe :D

2. abbeys-mom

abbeys-mom New Member

Hello Tmountain,

Sounds like you have a dilema....
    My thoughts only,
    Pug, will shed, good with the kids, and not much grooming involved.

Poodle will not shed, alright with kids - if the kids know how to respect and treat a dog, grooming required daily.

Schnauzer (sp?), not to sure, I am not familiar with this breed.

Boston Terrier, will shed, very HIGH energy - and personally I think may be too much for a 2 year old child - not much grooming involved.

Have you thought about a Shih-Tzu, maybe I am partial to them, but they pretty much do not shed, are good with kids, not as high energy as a terrier, but do require grooming.

3. lanena322

lanena322 New Member

I'd also go for a shih tzu, but i have a huge preference with them. You can have them shaved and wala, no more heavy grooming!

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Go to Petfinder.com There are MANY dogs, puppies looking to be adopted, and with a 2 yr old, most are compatable with it.

I would check there first before going to a breeder.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

if you do get a dog that requires grooming (shih tzue, poodle, etc., it'll have to be done every few weeks).

Also I'm not sure I'd want a smaller dog around a toddler...at least just not yet. I'd wait until your child was out of those toddler years before getting a smaller dog. Accidents do happen - I'm sure your child is well behaved but sometimes they just don't know, or understand, how to act with a pet and a small dog is a tiny puppy.

6. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

RESCUE, RESCUE!!!!

Petfinder is a great place to adopt, or once you figure out the breed you want look up rescues for that specific breed! Either way you are opening your home and heart to a dog that's already born and living without a real family.

I know lots may disagree here, but I do not agree with breeders of any dog. Even if it IS for comps. and what not.

If he/she is just going to be your loving pet, please rescue one that has lost their home....

7. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Ok, if you get a pug or boston, they do shed all over the house. Now even though you don't have to groom them as often, brush out matts, trim hair, etc. You will be having to so called groom your house (clean, vacumm) often to get rid of the hair. It will be where ever the dog lays or shakes. The so called non-shedders. Their hair will fall out but it catches itself in like say the poodle spiral curl. Or the shitzu wavy hair. Its longer so its harder to fall out. With short haired dogs they just shake and its sprayed all over the place. I like the ones that need clipping myself. Though I have one of each. Think hard about your decision. You don't want to be in the same situation you were years ago and have to get rid of your pal. Good luck.

Oh, my mother in law has a schnauzer. They need clipping every so often. There hair grows out too. I never see any of his hair around either.

8. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

One unplanned aspect of our new dog park here is that some people visit the park who don't even have a dog. One couple told me they were there to look over the various breeds and talk to the owners. If you have a dog park in your area that might be worth a visit.
    As for the breeds you mentioned I do know several friends who have the mini schnuazers and they seemed to be very nice and loving pets. They do need to be clipped occasionally.

9. puggleowner

puggleowner New Member

I noticed you mentioned "puggle" in your initial post- did you mean to say "pug" or were you actually referring to the "puggle" hybrid mix of beagle and pug? I own a puggle- we took her in when a friend couldn't handle her as a pup. I can attest to the fact that puggles shed just as much as pugs- it's not a huge amount when compared to a dog like a golden retriever for example, but they still shed significantly. IF you're still interested in a puggle despite the shedding issue, I can say that in my experience and what I've learned from others who own them they are for the most part very energetic, and very affectionate and loyal to their owners and families. Petfinder has a ton of puppies and young dogs available, puggles included, and you can find specific breeds or mixes by clicking on the "breed list" icon in the search area. If you need a dog that absolutely does not shed, my suggestion would be a poodle.

10. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

They ones i have found not to shed are poodle- grooming required.clipped

Mini Schnauzer- grooming required clipped.

Yorkie, Maltese,

Pugs are bad about shedding and i dont see how a puddle is any different all it is is someone mixed their beagle with a pug both dogs shed.

11. ILoveGreatDanes

ILoveGreatDanes New Member

A puggle would shed for sure.

Poodle mix or a bichon mix or a schnauzer mix would be good. The only way these would require daily grooming would be if you got a fancy haircut. Get a purebred poodle and shave it every few months (do it yourself if you dont care how it looks) and it would probably be the lowest maintenence dog ever. These dogs ..any of the mixes with poodles etc...can be the highest maintenence dogs...or the lowest...it just depends on what you want them to look like.

Rescue a dog and get ANY breed of dog you would like...daily brushing will keep the shedding to a minimum.

Heres the basic rule...if the dog doesnt shed...it will require grooming (shaving) of some sort on a regular basis all its life. If a dog doesnt require regular professional grooming...it will shed.

I guess a hairless dog might be the exception to that. Oh and dogs like cocker spaniels both shed and require grooming....so..yeah

12. goob

goob New Member

Be sure to research different medical problems of each breed, every breed has its own problems, but some have more than others. I know mini schnauzers are prone to diabetes, kidney problems, and glaucoma. Pugs and Bostons are both snub nosed breeds, which makes them more prone to breathing difficulties, especially if you live in a hot or humid area. There are also anesthesia issues with some snub nosed dogs when they're put under for surgeries, some types of anesthesia should be avoided with them. I don't know anything about poodles (standards are prone to Progressive Retinal Atrophy, an eye disorder, but not sure if it applies to minis and toys as well or not). If you go with a dog from a breeder, be sure that they test their dogs for all these problems (those which can be tested for at least), and that they breed with avoiding the other problems in mind.

All in all, if you're not set on one breed, I say go to the shelter or a local all/small breed rescue and see if any dog there fits what you want. You never know, one there might be your perfect match, and you'd give a dog a chance they otherwise might not get in the process :wink:

13. lil96

lil96 New Member

14. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

So basically, its groom about every six to eight weeks or vacumm up hair every day. Shedding dogs hair can be found in the oddest of places. I have found it in the freezer of all places. All dogs need brushing either way. With dogs that need clipping, they need it so's not to become matted and shedders need it to help releive some of the hair that will end up everywhere.

15. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

I had a Toy Poodle that my ex-husband got in the divorce (Boo, hiss :0021: ) His name was Truman, black, and we had "puppy cut" as I didn't like them shaved. He was trouble free on grooming, easy to train, so smart, and absolutely fantasic around kids of all ages. As long as they grow up with the kids starting when they are just a puppy. But, you have to be so so so cautious watching the toddler around a small breed dog. I have German Shepherd puupy who is now about 13 weeks and I watch my two boys like a hawk! I also grew up with two Schnauzera as a kid and they were both fanatstic around my little sister and I (10 year age difference) but, the grooming thing was a little more time consuming. A Little harder to train as well.